urbanindie
Newly Registered

Growing From Seed HELP???

I bought twenty Red Japanese Maple seeds and I want to start to try to make my own bonsai. I realize this is a long term project and it may take two years for the seeds to sprout, but I have no idea what to do with the seeds or once they start sprouting!
Any help?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say where you are and it makes a big difference. If you are in some cold winter climate, I would just plant your seeds in potting soil in pots and put them outside. Make sure they don't dry out totally if you aren't getting rain/snow. They need at least three months of temperatures below about 40. If you do not have three months of winter left, you can accomplish the same thing by putting them in moist potting soil in a ziplock baggie. Put it in the frig. Check every once in awhile to be sure it isn't dried out, add a few drops of water if needed. After three months, you can start checking to see if any have germinated. It could take three to six months. As the seeds germinate, transplant them in to small pots with potting soil and take care of them like any potted plant. But they should stay outdoors all the time, summer and winter.

As the tree gets bigger, put it in bigger pots - NOT bonsai pots. If you put your seedling tree in bonsai pot, it will never get any bigger and you will always have a little stick in a pot.

Spend the next 5 years growing your tree out in the ground or in a big pot until it has enough size to do something with.

Then come back and ask for more directions :)

Starting from seed is a very slow way to get to bonsai.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

urbanindie,

I never had any luck with Japanese Maple seeds that I purchased. The only time such seeds ever germinated for me was when I collected them myself. Fresh seed that has never dried is very important for this species, when dried they are very reluctant to germinate.

Norm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Urban, collect seed from a local-to-you tree and plant them promptly to bed or germinating pan. Leave them outdoors in the cold and wet. They will slumber till next spring and germinate then.

Collected (and dried) Japan maple seeds have just about 0.0% germination rate.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”