Bonsai_bad_boiii_88
Newly Registered

Bonsai beginner needs help

Hi all
I've just purchased my first bonsai(Chinese elm) when I got it back from the garden centre it seemed very dry as it was sitting under a big heater. I have followed watering instruction on the web ie chopstick method and I seem to be keeping on top of it some days more needed than others. There is a white discharge around the base of the trunk but the water where I live (stafford UK) is very hard could you please help with any advice on general care and if you notice anything on the pics.

When inspecting the roots it seems to me (ameter view) that it seems to be all roots in the pot n empty sections inbetween roots with no soil. Do any of you think that the roots have filled the pot do I need to repot with some fresh soil?(pics supplied)

Thanks

Ad
Attachments
Roots
Roots
Full tree pic
Full tree pic
White discharge
White discharge

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Read and follow instructions on how to repot your elm. There is a FAQ.

The white marks are limestone from hard water. Some folks collect their rain water for trees in shallow pots.

Others gently use a tooth brush to massage them away.

Store composts (or soil) are too fine. Build or buy soil specific for bonsai. The number of trees killed by new growers saying, "it'll be just as good"; are legion.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Oh, your tree belongs outdoors. Well if you want a live tree it does.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ad,

I had typed a reply yesterday at lunch but evidently never submitted it. Tom touched on most of what I had written anyway. Here are some threads that will provide information on re-potting.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3422
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =36&t=3423

It will need re-potted but this is generally done while deciduous trees are just breaking dormancy. It can be done now but it is more risky.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”