Rise16
Newly Registered

Ficus Microcarpa Issue

Hello everyone. I have 3 year old ficus microcarpa. Just recently I noticed that the branches are getting dry. I cut them now, hoping that the new leaves coming out will continue to grow along with the new branches. Just want to know two things. First, did I do the right thing cutting those dry branches? Second, what is the possible cause?

I don't want it to die. Even though it's with me for 3 years, I still consider myself a freebie in gardening. I literally just water them and didn' t give much care about it. But now, I decided to take this seriously. Please help.

Thanks so much.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Rise16 wrote: I literally just water them and didn' t give much care about it. But now, I decided to take this seriously.
Have you repotted and replaced soil in the past three years?

Bonsai soil has a high percentage of inorganic (stone) and up to 70% crushed bark (aka soil conditioner). Over time that organic bark medium breaks down, decomposes and compacts. This compressed soil does not admit air, so that soil becomes anoxic (bad).

Your tropical tree may be telling you its time for some fresh soil. It probably also needs more light than it gets from being set on top of the TV or near a window.

Any man-made material (oilz dri etc) needs to be tested for its degree of baking before use. If it melts your tree will down in the goo it creates. Use fully inert stone (like granite chicken grit) or cactus mix.

I add osmocoat pellet fertilizer when I repot in the spring and set out tender trees.

Rise16
Newly Registered

tomc wrote:
Have you repotted and replaced soil in the past three years?
I was not repotted since I bought it. I certainly do not have any clue until I read everything about it yesterday and read your response too. I'm heading to local garden shop to buy crushed bark.

I really need to do as you said.

I also read that any household plant fertilizer will work, is that correct? My ficus really looks bad. I think it had scar due to my carelessness. I hope I can still bring back it's beauty. At least I can see the leaves growing again.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Figs are resiliant (if boring) trees. I would hold off on fertilizer till you can place your tree outside. It has more deficits than just compacted soil. Like it needs several orders more sunlight than it is currently getting.

Read up on how to mix your own bonsai soil, its more than just bark mulch.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”