Blackdawn_70631

Repotting w/ Root & Grow Plant Starter

Getting ready to repot my Fukien Tea. The leaves had fallen off earlier but young sprouts are coming out now. Every time I come homr from work my tree is greener. In about a week and half I'll repot. It should be ready by then. I was wondering if I could use Root & Grow Plant Starter on it while it's taking root the first couple of weeks.
Anyone have any suggestions, is this a good idea? :?:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Blackdawn_70631,

Are you referring to a mild fertilizer or some other stimulant such as Superthrive? Either way you are likely to receive different opinions on these questions.

Superthrive is thought of as snake oil or a godsend depending upon who you ask. Similarly, conventional wisdom says not to fertilize immediately after re-potting but not all subscribe to this idea either.

Norm

Blackdawn_70631

I think I might fertilize once after the repot, but at a fraction of the recommended doseand two weeks later. Though that depends on how my tree is looking. Soil wise I bought a mix between frit, mulch compoat, some other things that I can't remember. It's 3/4 organic and the frit is supposed to have minerals in it. Plus the mix of soil is supposed to supply more oxygen to the roots and balance the PH levels.
The repot is more so to get the tree trained into a smaller pot, though not much smaller than what it's in now, and to check the roots. See how they look, if there's any other bugs besides ants and to check for root rot. If I do cut any roots I am not going to fertilize it. However I will fertilize a few days before just to give it a boost of energy for the transfer.
I believe my tree will do a lot better after this in its new soil. Even my mother-in-law asked me how it stayed alive. For valentines my husband had given both of us mini roses. Hers has died and mine is still alive and blooming. My cactus hasn't died either.
This tree being given to me somehow gave me that green thumb I've always been wanting. There are sprouts even coming out of areas that were dead and in areas it wasn't lqst year.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”