Falco2300
Newly Registered

Turning bonsai into a low maintenan houseplant by repotting?

Hello,
I received a store bought bonsai as a gift several years ago. It was probably from a home improvement store since the top stones were glued down and it was not in bonsai soil. I figured this out just today since I noticed it has been shedding leaves excessively for the past few months. It has been grown inside since I received it and was growing very vigorously until a few months ago. I have also noticed that it has grown a bunch of air roots. I like the plant and have done zero maintenance on it besides watering for the past few years, so it is super large for a bonsai. I do not have the time or motivation to properly take care of it as a bonsai, so I was wondering it I could simply re-pot it into a normal houseplant pot and let it grow as it pleases. I know this is a very strange question for this forum but I have searched and not found a thread with a similar topic. I want to know if I can help the plant by repotting it and treating it as a normal houseplant and decrease the amount of time I need to spend maintaining it.
Thanks for any help,
Bob

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Falco2300,

There is no reason that you cannot do as you propose. My only suggestion would be to upgrade your soil to a more free draining mix. I have abandoned conventional potting mix even for houseplants, they seem to do well like this.

Norm

Falco2300
Newly Registered

Thank you very much

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”