ClockWorkBeetle
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai, white moldiness in moss?

Hey folks,

I just got a Juniper Bonsai (about 12 years of age). I keep it indoors, water it reasonably, and let it have some sun, but... The moss and soil that came with it seems to now have some fluffy white moldy mildewy... stuff among it. Not a ton, but noticeable. Sometimes it looks like little fluff pods from some other plant, but it doesn't have seeds, just spider-web-like messiness. Should I be concerned? How can I remove it? Will it grow to harm the moss or tree, or block up my little garden? I live in upstate New York right now, and it is quite autumn (if that's useful).
I Reeeally don't want to have to re-pot it... And I can't safely leave it outside.

Thanks for whatever help you can give, Scott, et al.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

At a guess, you are over watering and your soil holds too much moisture. there is a FAQ here look for "Chopstick watering method",

At a certainty, no juniper can be kept alive long indoors. I it is exclusively an outdoors tree.

Over the past fiften years the empty pots that once held 'indoors junipers' have been a deep discount item for me at church and tag sales.

manofthetrees

if you have a garden burry the pot in the ground in a place protected from wind, preferably under a large shrub. don't worry it will be fine they are usually zone 2 tollerable. if you don't have ground space somewere cold and out of the wind and direct sun will suffice

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I think we did not provide the desired reply MOT.

Shrugs

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”