sarmishta
Newly Registered

Fresh leaves are falling off my Ficus Microcarpa - Need help

Hi All,

Am just a beginner in growing a bonsai. Last week I got Ficus Microcarpa. I did do little homework on taking care of bonsai. I do keep her near the blinder (In day time, I'll keep the blinders will be kept open for the light to come in. However, glass will be closed, hence it'll receive only light and no cold air).

and regarding watering my bonsai, I do insert my finger in the soil for about an inch. If its dry, I do water it once in 3 days. (I was advised to use ice cubes once in 3-4 days. is this correct ? )

The newly grown leaves, look kind of pale and yellowish (whereas the existing ones look rich n more greener). Since 3 days more leaves are falling off. On few of the fallen leaves, the tip towards the branch is kind of dark. what does this mean ?

Can someone please help me protect my bonsai. I want to keep her happy.

Thanks,
Sarmishta

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sarmishta,

Really quickly, Ficus are known to drop some leaves when introduced into a new environment. The pale color of the new leaves is normal. Ice Cubes for a tropical??? I would stop that practice.

Manage your water carefully, resist the urge to water on a schedule, which you seem to be doing. Always water thoroughly when you do water. Welcome.

Norm

manofthetrees

when I started growing bonsai,ficus was my first, I had a realitively green thumb from gardening expieriance but had no idea what I was doing with bonsai. through expieramenting I found ficus will wilt without any real detriment so letting them dry out little will not hurt.watering too much will bring very heavy growth and may contribute to roting the roots.
as gnome stated NO ICE CUBES...I have no idea whom would of recomended this but tropicals(ficus) are warm weather plants freezing water could kill it

sarmishta
Newly Registered

Thanks to both of you!

I did stop using ice cubes for watering. My Ficus has stopped dropping too many leaves a day since last week.. I guess the issue was with lighting and using ice cubes. I kept it in a well illuminated place and I watered it only when the soil was too dry.

It has started growing many new leaves...

manofthetrees

awsome great to hear

fleckbeet
Newly Registered

Me too. Leaves are falling off my Ficus Microcarpa. Help.
1. What's the ideal/best way to water my Ficus Microcarpa? (I've been keeping it minimally moist, water it a little a couple times a week.)
2. It has these little flying mite things on and around it. (I bought some Neem Oil spray. Its an organic Fungicide-Miticide-Insecticide, and I've actually been rubbing it on the leaves to help make them shiny too. I'm guessing it doesn't like Neem Oil, especially rubbed onto its leaves.)
I'd sure like to keep my baby alive and well. What's the best way to keep it happy and thriving? THANK YOU for your help.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”