axiekeepeer

Bonsai axie tank

Hi!

I'm looking for a bonsai capable tree to use in my axie tank (fishtank) not underwater but in a fake rock waterfall basin I built on the back. I'm not sure if any bonsai can grow roots submerged though I heard sheflerra likes it.

Another idea is that I have room in the waterfall basin to allow the bonsai to be r.o.r and use capillary action for water.Though I'm not sure I understand how these things actually are supposed to work.as ive never done this before.

Anybody got any ideas? Ill post a pic if I can figure out how to do it on a mobile phone otberwise will have to wait till after tommorow wben I'm home again. thanks everyone[/url][/code]

axiekeepeer

https://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/85864-axolotl-habitat.html

This is a link to caudata.org where I have posted some pictures of this tank, tbe basin in tbe back is the one under questiom. It is aprox. 3' x 6"x6" and will have a continious circulation of heavily oxygenated lightly nutrient Rich water, dumping as a waterfall into tank.so far is planned to be filled with lavarock and this is were I would like to bonasa!
I'm happy to work with shefflerra but would like something more tree like as in ficus, though maybe shefflerra can be 'tree like' as well.

https://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/85864-axolotl-habitat.html

The Ficus Guy

I'm not sure I know of any species that would like roots being wet 100% of the time. And if there is a species, the roots would spread out through the water and attempt to occupy the tank and create a big annoyance.

axiekeepeer

Actually if they grew over the waterfall and into the tank it would be really cool! I would just have to prune in order to keep it tidy.

I'm thinking it doesnt have to be submerger 100% as I could possibly have it above water line and allow it to wick the needed moisture or to send a few roots to drink directly.

Something like that anyways.
Idea would be that I want to bonsai on the back some how some way, even if it has to be watered seperately (replace evaporation from tank anyways) though I would be unable to add much for fertilisers other then minerals. I could water it with tank water as well, though would be less optimum then having it drink tank water directly.

The Ficus Guy

How would the tree receive light? Would you have a light for the tree and a light for the tank?

applestar
Mod

Does it have to be a tree? I mean trees like that are like cypress and mangrove, right? How about bog plants (herbaceous bonsai) or shrubs?

I guess it would have to be a tropical ... Orchids, ferns.... Something that can handle lower light levels?

axiekeepeer

High power led light focused from above tank/tree that can have its position adjusted in order to give apporpriate light for each. I have to also keep temps between 18 and 20 celsuis so natural light is indirect.

axiekeepeer

No wouldnt have to be tree if there is a much more suitable bog plant. I do like the forest look. open to whatever will work best for my setup. I can provide good lighting as the tank itself will be planted and lit from a hanging led light from above and the plan is to use the light for bonsai as well.

axiekeepeer

so what kind of bog bonsai are there? and how do I go about doing this?
I updated some more pics on the above links. Id put them here but there seems to be no option to upload directly :roll:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Well the only family of trees that I know can directly occupy a flowing warer site is willow.

Your going to want something dwarfed, and be willing to prune pretty agresively top and roots. Aproaching beating it with a club.

Bald cypress is a maybe, red alder is another maybe. But only maybe's

axiekeepeer

Maybe not necceseraly trees?

Wort
Cool Member

The Ficus Guy wrote:I'm not sure I know of any species that would like roots being wet 100% of the time. And if there is a species, the roots would spread out through the water and attempt to occupy the tank and create a big annoyance.
Bald Cypress?_ Sorry Tom I didn't see your Suggestion for BC

axiekeepeer

Cool. I like the bald cypress. Where should I get one and how should I do it with this setup?

axiekeepeer

Also whatever I use would not have to be completely submerged I just cant use soil.
I could put above water line and have a spray bar run water continiously thru substrate or something like that.

The Ficus Guy

Nooo. Bald Cypress is a deciduous tree and would die indoors in a heartbeat. It's outdoors only.

axiekeepeer

Ok this is getting sad. There is a dwarf bald cypress used for indoor bonsai even I know that. Sorry, but thats just basic research done by a newb. -wall-

I'm gonna get something local from the garden center that might possibly work and figure out a way to make it work.
Some rescources say shefflerra would be best for this, others say ficus could work, ill see what I can get and make it happen.
I'm geussing that this Kind of project I'm doing is something that never gets done in bonsai, cause there really is no reason for it to have. nutz:

Ill keep u All updated on what plants I end up killing.

The Ficus Guy

No Bald Cypress, regardless of its size, is suitable for indoor growing. Wherever you're getting that information from is wrong.

axiekeepeer

Well I found a small ficus for eight bucks. Has an interesting shape to start with. I'm gonna set it up in an essentially drip hydroponic setup with lavarock and smooth pebbles. The plant will be able to reach standing heavily circulaited water if it wants/can. Ill get it set up today.

My earlier post was of frustration... Didnt mean it to be so harsh. While ive foind that u can do indoor swamp cypress it is reccommended to be put outdoors during summer for best results due to extra air circulation and light.
This would have been my first choice if I could have purchased locally as I run cooling fans and will be providing as much light as neccesary. I still want to do bald cypress and am gonna get some cause theyre awesome.

The Ficus Guy

axiekeepeer wrote:
My earlier post was of frustration... Didnt mean it to be so harsh. While ive foind that u can do indoor swamp cypress it is reccommended to be put outdoors during summer for best results due to extra air circulation and light.
This would have been my first choice if I could have purchased locally as I run cooling fans and will be providing as much light as neccesary. I still want to do bald cypress and am gonna get some cause theyre awesome.
Don't know where you heard that Bald Cypress can do well indoors, but that is completely false. Being that it is a deciduous tree it has to stay outdoors so that it can go dormant during the winter. That's that and there's no way around it.

axiekeepeer

. Ive got one guy saying u cant grow bald cypress indoors at all and a whole web of info. Saying otherwise. And this is the first ive read about needing to supply winter season for dormancy, all other info. Says that dormancy happens with indoor bonsai regardless, there is a small temprature fluctation winter to summer in homes and ecspecially in my basement, is this not enough? Most info. I find says it is.

The Ficus Guy

axiekeepeer wrote:. Ive got one guy saying u cant grow bald cypress indoors at all and a whole web of info. Saying otherwise. And this is the first ive read about needing to supply winter season for dormancy, all other info. Says that dormancy happens with indoor bonsai regardless, there is a small temprature fluctation winter to summer in homes and ecspecially in my basement, is this not enough? Most info. I find says it is.

Don't believe everything the internet says. Bald Cypress is not an indoor tree and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot. You're getting your information from all the wrong places. Sure, trees like Ficus and Schefflera work all right for indoor growing, but Bald Cypress lives outside and does best outside (like every tree, really).

If you want to waste your time and kill a tree, go for it. Ignore an experienced indoor grower. I tried.

axiekeepeer

So u killed your indoor cypress?

The Ficus Guy

axiekeepeer wrote:So u killed your indoor cypress?
No, but I know of several people that did. I don't know how many times I have to tell you until you realize that it's not an indoor tree and never will be.

applestar
Mod

Here's a way to tell --

Baldcypress USDA hardiness zone range is Zone 4-10, which are temperate areas that mostly definitely experience various degrees of frost and freeze.

Schefflera arbocola is Zone 9b-11.

Yeah, there's an overlap in zones where it hardly ever freezes, and maybe that's how some people managed to keep theirs alive for a period of time -- you need to also question if they are STILL alive too. So many blogs are about doing something for the first time/starting a new project -- I often wish they would also mention it if/when the project has failed and why.

axiekeepeer

The Ficus Guy

"No, but I know of several people that did. I don't know how many times I have to tell you until you realize that it's not an indoor tree and never will be."

tell me which is cause Ive never seen a tree native to the indoors. your only expressing an opinion so don't get elitist on me, I wont take anything on word only, how am I to know your info. is accurate and no one elses is?. how about letting my thread move on?

The Ficus Guy

axiekeepeer wrote:The Ficus Guy

"No, but I know of several people that did. I don't know how many times I have to tell you until you realize that it's not an indoor tree and never will be."

tell me which is cause Ive never seen a tree native to the indoors. your only expressing an opinion so don't get elitist on me, I wont take anything on word only, how am I to know your info. is accurate and no one elses is?. how about letting my thread move on?
I'm not expressing an opinion. It's a proven fact that deciduous trees cannot live indoors. The conditions aren't right. Poor light, poor humidity, no temperature changes. As I've said, there are trees that are better suited to indoors such as Ficus.

But hey, your thread, you're right. Go ahead, don't listen to me and waste trees.

axiekeepeer

I updated my thread with new pics under the link on page 1.
That is if anyone is still interested after that fun bit.

axiekeepeer

Ficus bonsai I bought from home depot is doing great, went dormant like at first shock I assume and is now pumping out new leaves.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

axiekeepeer wrote:Ficus bonsai I bought from home depot is doing great, went dormant like at first shock I assume and is now pumping out new leaves.
Figs respond to changes (in weather) by dropping leaves.

Figs are a tropical, and root very well (by cuttings).

I'm just a lot less sure how wet you can keep their feet.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

If it was koi, and you wanted a pond-side tree (or bonsai) a bald cypress might be a good choice.

I'm still floundering with what you intend to do. I'm just not getting my head around your hope.
Last edited by tomc on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

axiekeepeer

Its already done. Ive got a ficus growing out of the back of an aquarium. 3 1/2 months now, and for the last couple weeks its been putting out new growth. [/url]

applestar
Mod

Love to see photos when you get the chance! 8)

axiekeepeer

heres some pics.

one picture shows the bonsai right after planting and at its fullest, then I made a rookie mistake of trimming the leaves that weren't where I wanted them, too early. Didnt have much die off, but now it s growing new leaves. green pipe is pushing water to base of lava rock, some of ficus is submerged but is also wicking water from heavily saturated rocks. green pipe will hide later, but ive got a leak to fix. My purple waffle died off pretty quickly.

its all for that cute little axolotl. soon to be joined by two more once there big enough to not be considered food.

I'm satisfied that this will work just fine and may add to ways that bonsai can be grown or describes a method already being used.[/img]

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”