Tarjida
Newly Registered

Watering a Root-Over-Rock Chinese Banyan

Hello. I have an indoor root-over-rock Chinese Banyan whose leaves are drooping. It seems healthy but I'm not sure if I'm watering it properly. When I purchased it, the lady at the plant shop said to submerge it in water for an hour each week. Does this sound about right? I live in the United Kingdom and it sits on the windowsill where it gets sunlight when it's sunny out.

The Ficus Guy

Don't water on a schedule. Only water when the soil feels dry. I wouldn't dunk it, just water it from above like a regular tree. Can you post a picture?

Tarjida
Newly Registered

The Ficus Guy wrote:Don't water on a schedule. Only water when the soil feels dry. I wouldn't dunk it, just water it from above like a regular tree. Can you post a picture?
It doesn't have soil. It's a root-over-rock tree.

[img]https://I.imgur.com/lSBR2.jpg?1[/img]
Last edited by Tarjida on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Ficus Guy

If it's a correctly done Root over rock, it does have soil. That is not. There should be something for the roots to grow into, which I guess the rocks below it will have to work. That however, is not a Ficus. That's a schefflera.

Tarjida
Newly Registered

The Ficus Guy wrote:If it's a correctly done Root over rock, it does have soil. That is not. There should be something for the roots to grow into, which I guess the rocks below it will have to work. That however, is not a Ficus. That's a schefflera.
Hmmmm... thanks for the clarification. I couldn't remember exactly what type it was and that was the closest thing I could find. This is interesting because I bought it at a greenhouse on Maui and she had a lot of them that were like this and seemed to be in great condition and aging well. I think this one was about six years old when I got it almost a year ago, but there were much older ones there. She sold me the rocks and the dish to go with it and told me to pick it up and drop it in water once a week to water it. Do you suggest we set it on something different so it can grow better?

manofthetrees

that is like the oddest thing I have ever herd for a bonsai...ther is no soil just root and rocks :!: I couldnt get the pic to work but one thing is to get some soil under and around the base to keep the roots moist. it may have just been less humid and dried up quicker than normal

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

looks to me you have a Schefflera and these things will grow in water so it's essentially hydroponics.

btw I have seen people grown ROR ficus trees with no soil in tropical climates. The roots are constantly soaked in water.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”