Lexi
Newly Registered

What type of Bonsai should I get? (Or grow)?

I live in central NJ.. want to buy or grow my first Bonsai. What type should I get? Should I just buy one from Home Depot or a local nursery before even thinking of growing my own from a seed? :?

SvetSad

From seed will take a REALLY REALLY long time before it looks like a bonsai. Buying one from a box store is not your best option.
but honestly as a newbe myself, I think it's ok to start out with something cheap, because there is a good chance it will die.

Or you can spend a little bit more and have something that looks nicer, and is probably in better health to start off with.

As far as which tree you should get for indoors. My recommendation will be either a Ficus of some sort or a Schefflera.

If you decide to spend a bit more money and get something nicer or something you can work on I'd recommend Meehan's bonsai (online), they have very reasonable prices

Lexi
Newly Registered

https://www.meehansminiatures.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=31

Would this be one to start with?

The Ficus Guy

Lexi wrote:https://www.meehansminiatures.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=31

Would this be one to start with?

I'd say no, simply because I've never heard of it. I'd be afraid there isn't much info. about it online with a name like that. If I were you I'd start out with a nice Ficus. They're virtually bulletproof.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

How far are you from All Shapes Bonsai in Ringoes? By far, for someone just starting who wants a decent first material, the best place to go is a bonsai specialty nursery. They'll also have tools (most of which you will not need), books (buy as many recommended ones as you can), and materials in all stages of development.

If you're looking for an indoor tree, I'd recommend a Ficus or Baby Jade as a first tree.

For outdoors, either Cotoneaster or Juniper.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Very smart advice!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Anisodontea are extraordinarily difficult to work with. They're hardy, but they die back readily on the interior, do not take wiring well at all, and grow at sharp angles. 2 years after purcashing a 4" start, it's still not ready for anything more than a pot up. 5 years after another 4" start, said pot up resulted in the tree's death.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Why not just get a rooted rosemary?

Pot it up in some big-box cactus mix(soil) and keep it well lit when you bring it inside in October.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”