Spotted
Cool Member

Two Mango Trees in one pot or two?

I apologize if this has been put in the wrong category. In the past, My potted tree questions have been moved here.

Two months ago, I had started an experiment with mango seeds. (Pits what ever you want to call them.) I have two that have been sitting inside the folds of a coffee filter and placed in a country fresh container. I now have two young mango trees, one 5 inches tall one 4 inches tall. One is absolutely flourishing, the other seems healthy but the leaves haven't grown nearly as big. Since the smaller of the two trees hasn't grown nearly as nice of leaves, it has occurred to me that I could have two different types of trees. Even though the mangoes had been purchased in the same week they were from different stores, or the difference could be the result of a hybrid thing going on.

So here is my big question. I am getting ready to put them in dirt and I was wondering if potting them together would be a problem. I live in Michigan so the mango trees will be in containers for the rest of their lives.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think definitely two pots. One could be bigger, just because it is out competing the other for water, nutrients, etc. Give them their own spaces and don't make them compete with each other.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

They will grow better separate.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I would pot them separately if you want to keep both of them. If you'd rather go with "survival of the fittest", though, leave them together and expect only one to live.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not that it changes the answer any, but you posted this under bonsai. Are you intending to develop your mango trees as bonsai?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Spotted wrote:I apologize if this has been put in the wrong category. In the past, My potted tree questions have been moved here.
Don't think so.

Spotted
Cool Member

thank you for the advice so far. Two pots it is. I don't know why but I hadnt tha ought about one choking out the other. Also a freind of mine mentioned that if I had a problem like root rot, being that ive never grown a mango tree before, I would habe twice tje chance of having a plant still survive.
rainbowgardener wrote:Not that it changes the answer any, but you posted this under bonsai. Are you intending to develop your mango trees as bonsai?
That is why I said something at the beginning. A few years ago I had asked about a Norse island pine and put the question in the potted plant section and then had it moved here. Also when I was doing some research the term bonsai can up repeatedly when referring to the roots system in a pot. Weather they were talking about the art of Bosnia or not. Ideally I would like to grow my mango trees large enough that they might produce fruit but for right now, just having them survive in ten inch pots on my window sill will make me happy.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”