Tjingram
Newly Registered

watering a gardenia bonsai

I am so thankful I have found this forum. I have been searching on the internet for some answers on how to care for my gardenia bonsai tree. It was given to me as a gift during a very difficult time in my life. I really would like to keep it alive.
It was delieverd about 5 days ago and at the time the soil looked rich and moist. Right now the top of the soil looks dry. I hate that it didn't come with instructions. I figured out to put the stones on the tray and put water in the tray..then place the pot on the tray. I noticed a few leaves yellowing...so I picked them off. I have it sitting on my kitchen table where it gets some sun. I was considering putting outside for a couple hours/ day this week since its supposed to be in the 70s. Is that a good idea?
Am I to always keep water in the tray?
How do you water it? By placing two inches of water in a tub and putting the plant in there for 5 minutes or until it stops to bubble?
Any advice is appreciated.
[img]https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/first_try_2006/Image.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Tjingram on Tue May 22, 2012 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tjingram
Newly Registered

Can someone tell me how to post a picture? I'm new at this and am not sure how.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tamara,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't grow this species so I'm afraid that I can't offer any specifics.
It was delieverd about 5 days ago and at the time the soil looked rich and moist. Right now the top of the soil looks dry.
You mentioned the submersion method of watering but did not say specifically how you have been watering it. Can you give us some more information? Although watering by immersion is not totally unheard of most growers prefer to water from the top.

If the soil is dry you may not have been watering it thoroughly. If you have been using the immersion method I suppose it is possible that the soil is wet low and dry on top. Check the soil lower down by using a chopstick or kitchen skewer if it is dry then water it thoroughly. Try this; water it with a watering can until the soil is saturated, wait a few minutes and repeat. If it is wet don't do anything right now.

Make sure that the bottom of your pot does not sit in water that you have in the drip/humidity tray, most plants don't care for wet feet.

Can anyone else offer anything more specific?

Norm

lb6354
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Tamara,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't grow this species so I'm afraid that I can't offer any specifics.
It was delieverd about 5 days ago and at the time the soil looked rich and moist. Right now the top of the soil looks dry.
You mentioned the submersion method of watering but did not say specifically how you have been watering it. Can you give us some more information? Although watering by immersion is not totally unheard of most growers prefer to water from the top.

If the soil is dry you may not have been watering it thoroughly. If you have been using the immersion method I suppose it is possible that the soil is wet low and dry on top. Check the soil lower down by using a chopstick or kitchen skewer if it is dry then water it thoroughly. Try this; water it with a watering can until the soil is saturated, wait a few minutes and repeat. If it is wet don't do anything right now.

Make sure that the bottom of your pot does not sit in water that you have in the drip/humidity tray, most plants don't care for wet feet.

Norm
I, too, received this type of bonsai for Mothers Day this year and already half of the leaves are yellow! I have it on a covered front porch that gets sun. I know that often yellow leaves means too much water but my plant is also very dry on top. There is water in the tray so maybe I should drain that? My daughter will be coming soon and I'd love to get this looking better before she gets here! (Bad Mommy! - HaHa) :oops:

lb6354
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:Tamara,

Norm
I, too, received this type of bonsai for Mothers Day this year and already half of the leaves are yellow! I have it on a covered front porch that gets sun. I know that often yellow leaves means too much water but my plant is also very dry on top. There is water in the tray so maybe I should drain that? My daughter will be coming soon and I'd love to get this looking better before she gets here! (Bad Mommy! - HaHa) :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In general, you want to water things thoroughly so that the water runs out the bottom and then let it drain and don't water again until it starts to dry.

The idea of the tray and stones is a humidity tray. It is to humidify the air around your plant a bit. It is NOT to have your plant sitting in water. You don't want to have the water in the tray touching the pot.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I've yet to be successful keeping Gardenias alive indoors, so the best I can offer is what's already been said. Outside, they will flourish, but are bug-prone. Inside, mine languish for years, but I never get any decent growth out of them, and no blooming at all, even in a greenhouse window.

Tjingram
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for responding. I found a paper that came with the plant that said to water it to place it in 2 inches of water for 20 minutes or until the soil was moist. That seems to be working and now my leaves don't look like they are yellowing. My new concern is that I have had quite a few buds fall off for no reason. Well, obviously there is a reason...but I have no idea why. They are not brown or anything. Any clue?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Probably lack of light and humidity more than anything. Also, I think I remember reading that gardenias are one of those plants that seem to require day/night temperature shifts. But, like I said, this seems fairly typical for gardenia indoors.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”