wolfmanjack
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai care question

Greetings! I am new to this forum, but I need some help. My girlfriend bought me a Juniper Bonsai tree a few years ago for my birthday. I have bought a few bonsai books but there aren't really a lot of groups around here at my university to seek help from. My tree has been growing and getting bigger, but I noticed a last week that he has a few brown branches and leaves. My girlfriend talked to a bonsai guy who says that this is normal because he (his name is alphonse) is growing and that the growth will eventually turn green. I was looking online for some more pictures of other junipers that had this "brown" on them to make sure that my little buddy was going to be okay, and a website mentioned that bonsai trees must be kept outside during winter months to go into "dormancy" so they can make food for the next summer. The weather in Ky is so random during the winter that we go from frigid weather to normal warm days. I didn't think that putting my lil tree outside was such a good idea this winter because I was afraid that he would freeze. My girlfriend and I live in a duplex apartment outside the university that we both attend, so we really don't have a lot of space to put him out in the yard. Not to mention our neighbors have dogs that would love to each him. I have thought about getting a window pottery type thing to hang from our 2nd story bedroom... but I was wondering if it is too late to do this to make him go dormant. I don't want him to die, I really want him to live and become full and healthy again... I just need some help. If I do put him outside on the window seal, I need any hints to keep him safe from frost and harsh weather in the upcoming months. Also what to do when there is snow in the forecast.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Let it snow!
Junipers love the snow, just like little kids.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”