trswartz
Newly Registered

New bonsai owner, need help!

Greetings!

I received a bonsai as a birthday gift and want desperately to ensure it lasts for years to come, but need some help/insight in to proper care and upkeep. The tree is a Chinese Privet (Ligustrum lucideum). The only advice I have been given via the little card the nursery placed in it is that it needs moderate to high light, keep soil damp, and fertilize monthly. Several leaves had turned brown and fallen off, while other leaves cnear the top of the tree have grown and look healthy. The only problem I am running in to is the light. I live in Ohio, where is it fairly overcast during the winter and spring and my home has large windows, but is surrounded by trees so direct sunlight rarely comes in. Is it possible for the plant to get enough indirect sunlight or is there an indoor bulb I can purchase until it gets warm enough to move the plant outside during the day? Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

lance

Hi there,
Privets are pretty hardy trees. Brown leaves could mean it needs more water or more sunlight.
I have a ligustrum ovalifolium. It is an outdoor tree. They need a dormant time. as soon as the danger of frost has passed put it outside gradually exposing it to sunlight over a week or so.
I leave mine in direct sunlight all spring then put it under a bench so it is shaded from the hottest part of the day. It grows like crazy.
Don't fertilize your tree until it's outside and showing signs of new growth.
Leave it outside all year. Even through the winter. It will thank you by giving you many healthy growing years.
good luck.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I am also in Ohio, so I definitely understand about the overcast! I doubt there is enough light in your house for it. It will benefit from supplemental light. Any ordinary fluorescent bulb will be fine, but to do any good it has to be right close over your tree, just a few inches above it.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”