Abe23
Newly Registered

Bonsai

Howdy everyone, I am currently on the process of selecting bonsai plants that I can grow inside our house. Good thing I came across this discussion, so far I am happy with the things that I learned from you. Besides thanking you, I also want to know what bonsai plants can you recommend that can stay inside the house? your thoughts are very much appreciated. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Abe23,

Hello and welcome. Glad to see that you are seeking advice before purchasing. All too often we read of new growers who have purchased, or been gifted with, a tree that is ill suited to indoor culture.

It would be helpful if you can provide a little more detail concerning the conditions you are able to provide. Also, are you willing to provide supplemental lighting if necessary? Are you able, and willing, to keep your prospective bonsai outside when weather permits? Not sure of your location, by the way.

In general look to tropical species for indoor culture. Ficus is a popular choice. Two others that I have had good luck with are Portulacaria and Schefflera, although both might be considered rather unconventional as bonsai.

Norm

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Abe23 wrote:I also want to know what bonsai plants can you recommend that can stay inside the house? your thoughts are very much appreciated. :)
Be welcome Abe.

As Gnome asks, so must I; how much of the year will your trees abide indoors?

All of the tender trees I overwinter indoors, under supplimental light, live out of doors from May to October.

I and my tree babies reside in SE-OH zone 6b

jason elm
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm Bonsai
Although this indoor bonsai tree is a tolerant species, it is important not to neglect it and ensure its most basic needs are met. This, as with any bonsai, includes regular watering, feeding and sufficient exposure to sunlight.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

jason elm wrote:Chinese Elm Bonsai
Although this indoor bonsai tree is a tolerant species, it is important not to neglect it and ensure its most basic needs are met. This, as with any bonsai, includes regular watering, feeding and sufficient exposure to sunlight.
Of all the things that are not now, nor will ever become an indoors only tree; its Ulmus.

Elms need for a dormant period is well known and evoked by this deciduous tree.

I'll go back to my original position, how much of the year will your tender trees reside indoors? A-n-d when.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Suggesting elms as 'indoor tree' is almost as incorrect as junipers. They belong outside. Dormancy is part of the life cycle of hardy and temperate zone natives.

My little group of tropical bonsai include bougainvillea, natal plum and grewia. I'm also training a young dwarf geranium for future bonsai and I have a large pony tail palm which is a houseplant not bonsai.

These are considered indoor plants for bonsai - however they go outdoors whenever the weather permits, and they love it. In the warmer months they go to a sheltered patio.

lucenda
Cool Member

I love my Green Island and Rusty Fig. They are doing well indoors; very easy to keep.

lance

Thank you Tom and tom. I agree with you both. Elm trees are outdoor trees.

start with something like a ficus or scheffliera. Both are easy to care for. Great for a beginner. Don't start with something that is known to be difficult to grow like serissa.That way you won't be setting yourself up to fail from the beginning.
good luck.
Lance

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”