pkeane91
Newly Registered

HELP!Bonsai Present.. is it dying?

Got a Fukien Tea Bonsai today for Christmas. Unfortunately, from the time it was bought to recieving it, the leaves have turned a dark brown/green colour and have become wrinkled and dead like.

my Girlfriend removed a white stringy like mold from the soil and some of the leaves etc. see url image below.

What should I do regarding the plant?

thanks.

URL to "mold" https://api.ning.com/files/DSUrqHoUC5QPXeBotKVyagGrDxxJ0DKZWPniU37B9Bbm86m7sGWYUw2Znv9GFCXyC381Bnzn-CD3VFpqT7H7u1q-RqofChn0L7rVJOr5pPc_/whitemold.jpg?width=721

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/pkeane80/6569946803/in/photostream[/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/pkeane80/6569946803/in/photostream[/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/pkeane80/6569940933/in/photostream[/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/pkeane80/6569952677/in/photostream[/img][/img]

TomM
Greener Thumb

Can this gift be returned for credit? Probably not.

The mold is probably a result of having the tree wrapped (as a gift) after a good watering and kept wet and dark for a few days.

Fukien tea requires a lot of good sunlight and good air circulation. Read up all you can about your new tree. Research it well. Determine whether you can provide what it needs for good health. You know what kind of home environment you can offer. We do not.

Your location - Limerick - does not give many clues. Ireland is in Winter now. Was your tree shipped from elsewhere recently?

pkeane91
Newly Registered

no unfortunately it can't be returned. I can provide a sunny spot away from direct sunlight with the correct temperatures and humid enviroment.

I am a beginner and I'm wondering, should I remove the leaves? or if the "mold" was a fungal infection? what should I do to return it to good health.

the tree itself was bought in ireland 4 days ago.

TomM
Greener Thumb

I would remove dead leaves with tweezers and gently brush out the moldy soil with an old toothbrush. If the mold does not return - now that the tree is in a nice bright location - simply add a new layer of 'top dressing'. That means a little fast draining bonsai 'soil'.

I do not think you have a long-term fungal problem or it would have been evident 4 days ago when the tree was purchased.

When googling fukien tea bonsai this comes up. Good first place to start your education - https://www.mellobonsai.com/care/Fukien-tea-bonsai.aspx

But keep reading from other Euro sources as well.
And - WELCOME to the bonsai world and this forum.

jonathan2jones
Newly Registered

I got a Fukien Tea from my parents for Christmas from Eastern Leaf. I now suspect it has root rot. Please help!
When I received it, I read the directions and did as they described. They say to soak the plant up to the trunk in water for 5-10 minutes. I researched this technique and some pretty reputable sources say this is not a good idea. Unfortunatley it had already been done, and now there is mold in the soil. I keep a chopstick stuck in the soil to tell if it needs water. Since Christmas I have watered it twice with top watering. The chopstick has mold on it today and the last time it was watered was last Thursday. After investigating a little the chopstick smells like mildew and the soil has a layer of moss underneath covering half of the area of the pot. It looks as if they covered the moss with soil.

My question: Can I save this poor Bonsai? It sounds like root rot and I know that root rot is normally not treatable.

jonathan2jones
Newly Registered

I got a Fukien Tea from my parents for Christmas from Eastern Leaf. The leaves started yellowing and dropping. I now suspect it has root rot. Please help!
When I received it, I read the directions and did as they described. They say to soak the plant up to the trunk in water for 5-10 minutes. I researched this technique and some pretty reputable sources say this is not a good idea. Unfortunatley it had already been done, and now there is mold in the soil. I keep a chopstick stuck in the soil to tell if it needs water. Since Christmas I have watered it twice with top watering. The chopstick has mold on it today and the last time it was watered was last Thursday. After investigating a little the chopstick smells like mildew and the soil has a layer of moss underneath covering half of the area of the pot. It looks as if they covered the moss with soil.

My question: Can I save this poor Bonsai? It sounds like root rot and I know that root rot is normally not treatable.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Probably not. Root rot is the number #1 killer of bonsai for new owners. And still the sellers give bad advice for care. Submersing is for baptismals not for bonsai.

Jonathan, and all others with this unfortunate experience, please try again. It is good that you came here for help. It's great that you read and researched good watering practices. Your gifted tree may not make it. But please find yourself another little tree. Take your new knowledge and curiosity and apply it.

We have all lost trees along the way. I just recently had a really nice ficus die on me. It was truly the first one that I got very attached to. I don't do a lot of indoor (tropical) bonsai but the few I have are quite special. I'm saddened by this but I know that it does happen and I move on with the others and learn what I can from those that are gone.

pkeane91
Newly Registered

So the tree hasnt improved. leaves havent grown back. I've watered it accordingly and it seems to be alive still. although I've been doing research and it says I should fertilize the tree once a month in the winter? should I feed it?

thanks.
Paul

pkeane91
Newly Registered

should the leaves have re grown? as far as I've researched its not in growing season..

TomM
Greener Thumb

If the tree suffers from root rot - feeding it does not help. A tree with no leaves should not be fertilized. This is not the growing season. Only root regeneration can save it. Wish I had better news and advice.

For bonsai root rot is almost always fatal.

pkeane91
Newly Registered

should I check the roots or would that cause more stress on the sick plant? one gardener I brought it too said that it has gone into hibernation?? could that be true?

TomM
Greener Thumb

Could be true. We can't see it / inspect it - can not say for sure.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”