lostlost
Newly Registered

Fukien tea with leaves turning brown/dried out

Hello !

my new and lovley tree is getting sick I think. I have repotted it into new soil mixed with grit and watering to keep the soil damp. I bought it a week ago and now the leaves are turning brown/dried out.
I am keeping it on my desk next to a window wich gives it a couple hours of sun everyday. also I try to keep the humidity tray filled with water all the time.

what is wrong and how do I solve this problem ?

thank you for any tips, tricks or answers :)

edit: I can also add that fresh green leaves are starting to fall off : (

[img]https://i55.tinypic.com/2eunza9.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i56.tinypic.com/5wf6uv.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The only way I have been able to keep Carmona alive for any length of time is by doing the following:

1. Minimum of 50% humidity.
2. Soil of at least 33% organic (compost), but not more 50%.
3. NO REPOTTING OUT OF SEASON, minimal to no root pruning.

lostlost
Newly Registered

kdodds wrote:The only way I have been able to keep Carmona alive for any length of time is by doing the following:

1. Minimum of 50% humidity.
2. Soil of at least 33% organic (compost), but not more 50%.
3. NO REPOTTING OUT OF SEASON, minimal to no root pruning.
thank you for tips! :D

the only thing I might think is hard to do is getting det humidity to be at min 50%. Will a small improvised greenhouse from plastic help me with that ?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

It will. Oh, also, they need a LOT of light.

lostlost
Newly Registered

kdodds wrote:It will. Oh, also, they need a LOT of light.
ok, will keep that in mind!

Does it get enough sun by just being next to a south west window in the house ? or should I buy myself a flourocent lightbulb ?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Mine is in a south greenhouse window that get direct sun for about 6-8 hours per day.

lostlost
Newly Registered

a little update:

all the leaves except for one has dropped now :(

but I see some tiny new leaves beginning to grow now. should I give it some fertilizer just to help it a little, or should I just keep it in as much sun as possible and lots of humidity ?

I presume the tree is still alive since new leaves are growing, or do is that wrong ?

BonsaiLiz

Hi lostlost,

By the look of your pictures, yours looks a little like mine, How old is your Carmona?
I did have a couple of brown leaves but they did drop off, I think that was due from the move to it's new home (me) :wink:
I have posted under New Topic how to attach a picture.

Liz

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Unfortunately, once full leaf drop has occurred, Fukien's are usually spent, even when new growth is apparent. If you keep the humidity up and light levels are good, you might be able to save it, though. As long as it's still accepting water, fertilizer will only help.

lostlost
Newly Registered

BonsaiLiz wrote:Hi lostlost,

By the look of your pictures, yours looks a little like mine, How old is your Carmona?
I did have a couple of brown leaves but they did drop off, I think that was due from the move to it's new home (me) :wink:
I have posted under New Topic how to attach a picture.

Liz
hi liz !

I'm not sure how old my Carmona is :oops: il try to post some better pics later :)

btw I looked at your post about uploading pictures and I used tinypic myself. only thing you need to do then is to copy&paste the link into your post :D

-lostlost
rainbowgardener
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:09 pm Post subject:
this is an oops, can be deleted...
not sure what you mean here rainbow :S
kdodds
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:44 pm Post subject:

Unfortunately, once full leaf drop has occurred, Fukien's are usually spent, even when new growth is apparent. If you keep the humidity up and light levels are good, you might be able to save it, though. As long as it's still accepting water, fertilizer will only help.
so what you are saying is that I should keep up high humidity, good light and fertilize a little. THEN mabye pray a little to God, Kai as I named my tree will mabye survive ?

I appreciate all the help from you guys, thanks!

BonsaiMatthew

I am currently trying to grow two fukien tea's indoors. fingers crossed!

I heard that they tend to lose leaves after a repotting -- although I'm about 2 weeks out after a repot (complete soil change) and neither of them show signs of leaf drop.

Good luck!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”