comp666
Newly Registered

Transferring ficus tree to new pot

Hello! I would like some advice on transferring pots. I just purchased this tree https://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=248 and I want to transfer it to a prettier pot. I have a ceramic bonsai pot that is 5 inches in diameter and 1.5 inches deep (=[ The juniper I tried to grow indoors used to live in it....) Would it be safe to transfer the tree to this pot when it arrives? If so, is there a good tutorial or video I can follow on how to transfer? Thanks!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Right now? You CAN pot tropicals just about any time of year, but it's still better to wait for seasons where the growth is most vigorous. As well, until you receive it, you have no idea whether or not the tree is ready for a bonsai pot. From experience with Wigert's 8" bulb pan trees, I can say that it *will* need repotting, more likely than not. But, you can easily wait until April to do so. Potting immediately upon receipt of the tree is not a good idea, generally speaking. Why add stress to an already stressed tree? Compounding stress is a very common beginners mistake that can cause the death of even very easy species.

TomM
Greener Thumb

In total agreement here. Many people, especially those who are new to bonsai, tend to rush things with no thought or regard for the good health of the tree. Instant this or that. It's the American way.

Slow down. The stress referred to here is the move from the cozy warm growing house at Wigert's in Florida to the totally new environment you will be providing. The packing, shipping - bouncing around are rough treatment. The new family member needs a little time to recover, rest up and readjust before Spring begins. It will then push new growth - and that is the best (safest) time to ready it for a bonsai pot which will require root reduction. Spelled STRESS. Only do this when the tree is ready.

Lots of time to read up on, or find videos showing, proper re-potting techniques. Also have good bonsai soil mix on hand.

comp666
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice kdodds and TomM, I'm glad I asked first :)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”