Mr. Orange

thank you tomc and gnome, and tomM, why be rude? I didn't label this thread, it was separated from another, if you re-read the whole gamut, you would see that. and as for taking advice, the plant was given to me after mentioning an interest in the area of plants, I do now have pots and I am working on gathering suitable soil. I am sorry that I havent posted to let any of you know that I have been doing that in the mean time. I did take the advice and have posted on my local reuseit yahoo group, as there isnt a freecycle around here. why come into this thread just to be a jerk? just wondering, because in my opinion its just a waste of a post if you arent trying to help or have something nice to say. just my opinion though I suppose..

TomM
Greener Thumb

Orange,

I'm sorry for the rudeness. Guess I got your attention now. I wrongly thought that you were just jumping all around and not really absorbing the help offered by good people here. Glad to hear your plans and that you've started a class.

I appreciate your enthusiasm - I'm seeing it from other younger 'newbies' as well.

As for your glued-on-rocks chip away if you can. Try to pry with a narrow screwdriver. But be careful as the pots often break when doing this. Eye protection is important. Good luck with it.

Again - happy birthday!.

Mr. Orange

Thank you for the birthday wishes. I'm glad you werent just trying to be ajerk just for the sake of it. The forums ive participated in in the past were full of young kids just trying to act tough behind their computer screen, so forgive me if I seemed immediately irritated. This is certainly not a forum for 'trollers' or 'flamers' as they say. Anyways I think tomorrow I will have enough time to finish gathering my soil mixture components, and I may look around at one of the local garden plant stores that I heard had schefflera's. Hopefully the slight bit of cash I got from a card will be able to buy me a small one, otherwise I will be resorting to putting something on my credit card from the internet, which I really don't want to do, as they arent fully paid off yet >.< maybe if I amblucky someone will have responded to my reuseit request by the morning.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Try to find the dwarf variety. Smaller foliage is important.

Take your time - don't rush. Better to look around a bit than to take the first that you see. It can be a bit frustrating, but we all need to exercise patience with bonsai. Maybe you can earn a few extra bucks and get something a little nicer and pay cash (not credit). Chores, lawn mowing, yardwork.

We're not jerks here. Well, maybe I am sometimes. Sometimes it's hard to steer people in the right direction from afar. I say something weird to get a point across even it is a bit gruff. No disrespect intended.

Spend your birthday gift $$$ wisely, or just save it until you can add some to it and get the 'next step up' for your beginner tree. Meanwhile read all you can about the type of tree you want to get. Learn what kind of care it needs so that will live a long and healthy life as bonsai.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Had another thought too. Since you are in Upstate NY you might want to consider this - if you are able.

We've been hit hard recently with one big storm after another. Severe flooding, wind damage, etc. Local nurseries and landscapers are 'swamped' and 'inundated' (puns intended) with work. Look around for a local place like that for some part-time, or even voluntary, work. Believe me there is plenty of repair to be done. Work with things that you enjoy doing.

Hang out with others with shared interests in plants, trees, landscaping and design. Expose yourself (no pun intended this time) to working with trees and to these special interests of yours. Good things will come of it. You might be able to find just the bonsai material you want in exchange for your assistance.

Your local county BOCES or Co-operative Extension Service probably offers classes in Soil and Water Conservation, horticulture, landscape design or related fields. Take a class. Get involved. Some big name bonsai experts started out this way.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”