tandy
Newly Registered

Leaf Growth

My bonsai tea plant lost its leaves right after I purchased it and they started growing back. They seem to have stopped growing and are still very small. It has been 3 weeks. Is this normal? Should I fertilize it? Help!!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tandy,

Can you provide some more information? I'm not sure what species you are referring to.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Doubtless a Fukien Tea, though I guess it never hurts to check. Is it "normal"? Yeah, pretty much for this species. They're struggling as it is when they're being kept out of greenhouse like conditions, then they're purchased by an unsuspecting consumer who is told or forced to infer that they're great beginner trees for indoor bonsai keeping. They're not. In fact, they're one of the worst species you could possibly picl. When the conditions are right, they're weeds. But when they're not, they fail, miserably. So, yes, it's normal, if by normal you mean is that what usually happens. Is it healthy? Nope. Unfortunately, there are no care instructions for keeping Fukien Tea alive indoors because it (for the most part) can not be done. Not by beginners and not by experts. IF you can provide a greenhouse like environment, say a brightly lit terrarium, you might succeed, but otherwise, do nothing but water as needed, give it plenty of sunlight, and keep the humidity level at or above 50%. Anything else will only hasten its demise. There are no tricks, tips, or magic potions that will help the tree.

It's really, really unfortunate. Bonsai should not be this difficult and disheartening. I wish I could say it wasn't so, but I'd be lying. You shouldn't necessarily write the tree off. Stranger things have happened. But you should plan it it probably dying. And, if you still want to experiment or keep bonsai, pick up a more suitable species from a reputable seller. Ficus and Portulacaria are the two genuses I'm most recommending of late for beginners. I'd add Schefflera too, but only if you can find a decent one.

tandy
Newly Registered

Thanks! I have really been babying it in hopes it would pull through. It seems to be holding its own, but its new leaves are really small and growing very slowly, if at all. I started feeding it bansai 10/15/10 to help. Thanks again.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”