invaderexodus

Bonsai dropping green leaves

I'm new here and I'm sure there are lots of posts about this topic, but I just want to know what I'm doing wrong. I bought this bonsai tree (I lost the card that identified it and I don't remember what kind it is) less than a week ago. I'm entirely new at this and had no idea that bonsai trees needed so much care. I keep it next to a north window, though most of the window is covered. The window it is next to, however, is partially uncovered letting just as much light in as if it was uncovered completely. I have it in my bedroom (I can't have it anywhere else, I have a 6 year old nephew who has autism and he is known to deroot plants) and I have a window air conditioner that I keep at 64 degrees, though it is not on all the time. I mostly water it every other day, but I have a feeling that's too much. The leaves are so delicate at falling off, all I have to do it gently blow on it and a few will fall. Here are some photos of it:

[img]https://i53.tinypic.com/aw46qx.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i53.tinypic.com/hrahiu.jpg[/img]

I'd hate for it to die in my care after I've had it for so little time :cry:

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I think it's a fukien tea but not 100% sure, can you post a close up of the leaves? They are among the hardest bonsai to take care of.

invaderexodus

[img]https://i55.tinypic.com/2mngmzo.jpg[/img]

Aww man, it would be my luck to get one of the hardest to take care of :/
I really hope I don't kill it

TomM
Greener Thumb

Yep, Fukien tea.
Please do some research on this. It's all over these forums.
They like LOTS of light, LOTS of humidity.
NOT dark rooms, air-conditioning, etc.
Again - research. Learn about your tree.

invaderexodus

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll definitely research this tree. :P

kdodds
Greener Thumb

What you will find is that they're virtually impossible to keep indoors if you're not keeping them in a free-standing actual greenhouse. Don't feel too bad if you can't save it. This is one of the species that should, really, never be sold as bonsai outside of their native climate. Unfortunately, in their native climate, they're almost weeds, making them easy to grow, and pot in only a few years. But, once outside familiar settings, they fair VERY poorly. "Hardening off" might work better than simply moving them immediately into cold, dry homes, but you'd need a bit more growing experience and equipment for that.

invaderexodus

Yeah I just moved it outside, maybe it'll be better out there. If this one doesn't make it, what would be a good bonsai tree for a newbie to get?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a bonsai grower myself, but read about it a lot. Schefflera, umbrella tree, is one of the most recommended for indoor bonsai trees for beginners.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

64 degrees????

kdodds
Greener Thumb

invaderexodus wrote:Yeah I just moved it outside, maybe it'll be better out there. If this one doesn't make it, what would be a good bonsai tree for a newbie to get?
There are a large number of Ficus species that are very good for beginners and Baby Jade, Portulacaria afra, is virtually bulletproof. Schefflera arboricola (not actinophylla, too large leaved) is also a great candidate. HOWEVER, fair warning, all of the Scheffs I've heard about this year have had problems related to being improperly rooted (unrooted/partially rooted) cuttings planted prematurely. If you go that route, make sure whatever you buy is fully rooted before you purchase it. On the Ficus, Ginseng Ficus, a F. retusa morph are not suitable for bonsai. Some Ficus to consider: F. retusa "Tiger Bark", F. retusa "Green Island", F. retusa "Golden Gate", F. benjamina "Too Little", F. benjamina "Kiki", F. burtt-davyii, F. burtt-davyii "nana", F. philipensis, F. salicifolia, F. ingens, F. benghalensis, F. rubiginosa.

invaderexodus

rainbowgardener wrote:64 degrees????
The tiny guide I got with the bonsai said adequate temperature is between 65 and 70 degrees, but it was just a general guide for bonsais. As I said, I'm completely new to this so I had no idea. I'll keep it in much warmer temps from now on :D

And thank you for all of your suggestions! I'll definitely keep them all in mind when I consider getting another bonsai should this one die.

invaderexodus

I have another question; I traveled a long way because I'm moving to my college, and I took my bonsai with me. It seems that it has jiggled loose or something, possibly from the movement of the car, and horizontal part of the trunk is leaning on the pot. I try to push the root system down and prop it up with the rocks/soil but it doesn't seem to help. Should I repot it with new soil?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I don't see how this is even remotely possible if the tree and pot didn't fall over. Well, no I should not say that, it would be entirely possible with a poorly and/or newly potted tree not secured to the pot. Although I'd still not old out much hope for survival, I would repot at this point.

invaderexodus

It definitely didn't fall over. Thanks for the reply! I'll repot at once.

invaderexodus

I'm also thinking about buying this desktop grow light:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Boys-Desktop-Grow-Light/dp/B002C6F384/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Boys-Desktop-Grow-Light/dp/B002C6F384/[/url]

Will it be efficient enough for my bonsai? My bonsai thrived outdoors in the summer (it was even starting to grow tiny flowers) but now I've moved and there's no way I can have it outdoors anymore. I'm hoping this will work?f

I'm sorry if I'm bugging you guys, I've researched this product and the bonsai, but I want to know for sure if something like this will be enough before I buy it.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Having experiemented with CF vs. T5 lighting, I can say that the CF single bulb units are pitifully poor. You'd do much better to simply get it in a south facing window, right on the sill. With Fukien Tea, humidity is more of an issue than light when it comes to keeping them alive, that and heat. Repotting is also an issue, they do not respond well to having their roots messed with, usually.

invaderexodus

It seems to be doing fairly fine right now. I added more tropical mix soil to the top just to hold up the bonsai a little better. It's still blooming the flowers and it's even growing a new part of a branch (which has gotten fairly long, fairly quickly). My concern is the humidity. It's going to be winter here not too long from now and it's gets pretty dry then. Maybe a humidity tray will help?

romaric
Newly Registered

Invaderexodus, I'm new he as well and have an African jade and Scheflerra. Had them for a week now. The schef is also tropical and likes humidity.

The humidity tray will probably work, it's a simple procedure I've read. Basically, just pebbles in a try, put a small amount of water in the tray and that produces the humidity. The good thing about that lighting system you linked top is, it has a tray for humidifying. It also has a sensor for watering.
Not a bad unit, I'm researching it myself now.

At first, I think I over watered my trees, but they same to be doing fine now. I have small webs, so I need to get some pest control and some fertilizer wouldn't hurt. It's still in minor shock from moving indoors, but I'm hoping it's ok.

Got any new pics to share so we can see how your plant is doing? :)

invaderexodus

Sorry I didn't reply right away, but I'll post some pictures up :)

I apologize in advance; these are not the best pictures regarding quality.

[img]https://i52.tinypic.com/20su5wl.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i51.tinypic.com/2d82efc.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i51.tinypic.com/25at8wi.jpg[/img]

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”