joszjak
Newly Registered

Indoor Bonsai - Leaves Withering & Turning Black

Hi, I was bought an indoor bonsai tree for my birthday off a relative a few months ago. The tree has been fine up until a couple of weeks back, and now the leaves has started writhering and turning black. As far as I am aware I have not watered it any differently.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dane

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dane,
As far as I am aware I have not watered it any differently.
While the effects of under watering are obvious and show up quickly, the effects of over watering can take longer to manifest themselves. It is possible that you have been killing the tree slowly through lack of oxygen and or root rot. Tree roots need oxygen as well as water which is the primary reasons that you see everyone constantly preaching about free draining soil. Is your soil coarse and gritty or does it appear to be peaty and primarily organic? If the latter is the case it will need to be changed to a more appropriate mix.

Not saying that this is the case with your tree, just trying to eliminate the obvious first. Also, your problems seem to coincide with the beginning of the heating season. The dry air in our homes is not conducive to the health of most plants. Ensure that it is not too close to a heat source and consider the use of a humidity tray.

You really need to identify your tree so that you can make informed decisions regarding it. Same goes for those who would try to help you.

Norm

joszjak
Newly Registered

Hi Norm,

Firstly thankyou so much for your reply. The tree is a Serissa Seroides. It is quite close to a radiator, but the house is always warm. The soil does appear quite grainy.

If the problem is over watering, how do I know, and how do I know how much to give the plant?

Also a friend clipped a couple of branches last month. Could this be part of the problem?

The leaves are browning and simply dropping off. I am quite scared!

Thanks again.

Dane

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dane,
Firstly thankyou so much for your reply.
You are welcome.
The tree is a Serissa Seroides.
Are you sure you have the name correct. The information that I am seeing states that there is only one species in this genus, foetida. I will provide a link below.
It is quite close to a radiator, but the house is always warm.
The heat is probably OK but being so close to the radiator is most likely too dry. Can you move it to a different location? At least get a humidity tray.
If the problem is over watering, how do I know, and how do I know how much to give the plant?
The soil should approach dryness before you water thoroughly again.
Also a friend clipped a couple of branches last month. Could this be part of the problem?
Probably not, I would tend to look toward cultural problems first.

Here is some information that should help. [url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html[/url]

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

joszjak wrote:
Dane,

It is an issue of when, Not how much.

It is not so much a matter of how much to water... as how often to water.

Bonsai should allways be watered completely- but only when they require it.

There is no such thing as a partial watering.

sorry so brief but I am rushed for time.

ynot

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”