coolguydudeman
Newly Registered

Worm in bonsai?

Okay. Well I was given a bonsai for christmas - Its a juniper and I am growing on my window. Anyway, today while I was watering it a small red worm fell out the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot. Now I'm aware of outdoor plants and trees and the benefits of having worms crawling around in the soil are but in a small bonsai pot this has me slightly concerned, Namely how it even got in there? :S

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Well, you see, there are mommy worms, and there are daddy worms, and when they really love each other they get married and...

Sorry, couldn't resist, but either it came in the soil very small, or as eggs. Worms are beneficial, IMO, and I leave them when I find them and toss them back in when they flee a watering.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Worm eggs *might* be eliminated by baking soil befor use.

I never bother. Just toss him back in the garden if you don't want him resident in your pot.

Juniper probably is not an indoor tree....

TomM
Greener Thumb

It's not the worm I'm concerned with here - it's my usual theme. Why is the juniper considered an indoor tree?

coolguydudeman
Newly Registered

kdodds wrote:Well, you see, there are mommy worms, and there are daddy worms, and when they really love each other they get married and...
Well actually earthworms are hermaphrodites as far as I'm aware, So I don't think we could quite call them mommy or daddy worms lol ;)

coolguydudeman
Newly Registered

TomM wrote:It's not the worm I'm concerned with here - it's my usual theme. Why is the juniper considered an indoor tree?
Its not. I just posted in this section seen as I am growing it indoors! However, I don't have any other choice at the moment.

TomM
Greener Thumb

You will need to learn the full needs and requirements for juniper to live and thrive 'long-term'. A window location doesn't provide it. The main thing concerns winter dormancy.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

LOL, yes, technically, each worm is mommy AND daddy.

TomC is right, Juniper is not an indoor tree and not "keepable" indoors. Sadly, unless you can make accomodations outside, you will, in time, learn this the hard way, as probably most of us have. Your tree WILL die indoors, it's only a matter of time.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

+1
kdodds wrote:LOL, yes, technically, each worm is mommy AND daddy.

TomC is right, Juniper is not an indoor tree and not "keepable" indoors. Sadly, unless you can make accomodations outside, you will, in time, learn this the hard way, as probably most of us have. Your tree WILL die indoors, it's only a matter of time.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”