linlaoboo
Green Thumb

how to care for Casuarina equisetifolia bonsai?

Meehans has this conifer that's good for indoors. I can't find any specifics on how to care for it online. Winter care, etc. Anyone knows :?: I'm a newbi with conifers.

TomM
Greener Thumb

E-mail Meehens, or call them, with your questions and then share them here.

Note - after doing the quick Google searches I see that this is the plant commonly called Australian pine. It is a native of many island countries in southern Asia.

This tells me that it will need very high light requirements and very high humidity. Knowing that I would suggest keeping it in a greenhouse. No dormancy needed. If you can't provide that environment you might have trouble with this plant - as bonsai material.

Suggestion - try Norfolk Island pine instead.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I myself have not tried this species, specifically because the needles are so darn long and, well, I really don't like the look of the tree, as a bonsai.

The most used common name I've seen is "horse tail oak". It's not a confier, though, but a deciduous evergreen. The species itself is supposed to be highly tolerant of wind, sale, and drought, making it a prime indoor bonsai candidate. It is also hardy enough to have earned an "invasive weed" designation in some non-native countries. This would lead me to believe that it should be fairly easy to care for and that it should tolerate bonsai culture (pruning, root pruning, etc.) well.

In fact, the ONLY thing that would, I think, keep it from being designated as a "perfect" easy (read: beginner) tree is that it requires full sun, from all I've read. So, unless you've a bright, open, sunny southern windowsill for it, my ultimate estimation would be to try something else.

I might still try it one day because of its very dense, hardwood, which would lend to sculpting (shari/jin) very well.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Thanks for the tips. It must be a rarety if even u guys don't know.

https://www.meehansminiatures.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=885&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=12

it says indoor, part sun, semi moist soil zone 9 and above. The seedling is on its way to me already. If I have any success, will let you know.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

norfolk island pine huh? Is it going to grow fast enough to cure my itch?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

IME, no, and they're a real pain in the but to get to look like anything due to their growing pattern.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”