melissabeth2010

Baby red maple question

Hi I found a baby red maple sapling while I was weeding. So I poted it in general poting mix with some rocks on the botom for drainage. Can anyone give me some tips on how to care fore it. thanks. :?:

froggy

Firsof all, you posted in the indoor bonsai forum but you should be aware this is an OUTDOOR TREE.
I killed some baby maples when moving his year - apparently they don't like to dry out or be too hot (I had to keep them indoors for a week whilst I was unable to get to them and that did them in).
Best bet woils be to either plant it in the ground for a few years, or leave the pot out in the garden where it will be happiest. If you decide to keep it in it's pot, just make sure you check if it needs watering (look up chopstick method).
Good luck.

Franco

I'm pretty sure Melissa was saying how she found the sapling outside, and that it was implied that she would bring it in.

Melissa, I've always wanted to do this so please let us know how it goes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Temperate climate trees need cold dormancy and don't survive indoors. Sometimes they will survive one winter without dormancy, but by the next spring they are exhausted and die.

If it is a baby seedling with a very thin trunk, the best thing would be just to plant it in the ground and let it grow for a couple years and thicken up a bit. It will grow much faster/better in the ground than in a bonsai pot.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

melissabeth2010 wrote:Hi I found a baby red maple sapling while I was weeding. So I poted it in general poting mix with some rocks on the botom for drainage. Can anyone give me some tips on how to care fore it. thanks. :?:
Find an out of the way place to put the pot tree & soil out of doors. Mulch it in (or berm it in) and let it slumber out of doors.

None of the cut-leaf or lace leaf Japan maples have viable volunteer seedlings, so its hearty enough to tolerate a CT winter, with minimal protection.

manofthetrees

if you put this one on/in the ground you may want to protect the top .last winter my 2yr old maple went from a 2 foot sapling to a 6 inch stump ...stipid rabbits...it came back, just a precaution

Franco

My Juniper bonsai that my neighbor gave me goes in the ground before the ground freezes. I plant the whole pot in the ground at the soil line and then dig it up in the spring.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A sapling is a long ways away from having the proportion of a styled tree. Still getting my head around how to care for a tree in a shallow pot was a lovely ride.

For now almost any deep (plastic) pot will do. Keep a foraging eye out for orphan shallow pots. They litter church and yard sales, for pennies.

I am partial for 'paper-white' daffodil plastic pots to train in. You have a decade (or more) to shop for a mica pot of bonsai dimension.

My ability level (and prefference for temperate zone trees) dictates my prefference for "drop-able" or "freeze-able" pots.

Poaching bloodgood Japan maple sapling volunteers was exactly the route that lured me into training bonsai.

Don't be timid, give your new tree baby what it needs. Keep reading and wallow in it lady! ;)

Reason for editing: Still can't spell.

PreserveFlowers
Newly Registered

Spread your plant(s) out and sprinkle roots and leaves with water, taking care not to saturate them. Root moisture is the key to your tree’s survival. Pay close attention to your tree and it's surrounding soil. If the soil feels dry, your plant will need watering. If it is soaked, it has been over watered. The roots should be kept moist, cool, and unfrozen at all times.

If possible, plant your Red Maple immediately in moist soil. However, if you are experiencing extreme heat or drought, avoid planting your tree at this time. It is suggested that you plant your tree in a light colored pot and place it in the shade. Alternatively, planting your tree in a well-shaded area of your lawn is acceptable. You can ensure the success of your new tree by properly preparing the planting site, and by nurturing the delicate seedlings before and during planting. Be sure to follow the planting instructions carefully, so as to avoid mishandling your tree in any way.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”