lexifoster
Newly Registered

Repotting advice needed!

I have a 9 year old Japanese Juniper who was apparently repotted fairly recently according to the man I bought him from. I was told it didn't need to be repotted for another 3 years but (and this is more in vanity than anything else) I would like to place my Bonsai in a different pot. Would it be negative for its health if I repotted now or should I wait the three years recommended?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

First, from where did you buy this tree? If it was a mall cart or some other commercial location that is not a dedicated bonsai nursery, it is far more likely than not that the sell of the tree has no personal experience with when this tree was repotted. That doesn't mean he doesn't "know" when it wsa repotted, only that he buys in volume from an importer. These imports (or even domestic) "bonsai" originators are no more than tree farms. They're growing, in this case the most likely candidate would be J. procumbens 'nana', low growing shrubs in teh gorund and digging them up after a few years, then throwing them in cutesy pots for resale in malls, Walmarts, and supermarkets everywhere. My opinion? Usually they're in inappropriate soil, sometimes literally glued in, and cookie cutter pots that don't always fit the tree. So, no real harm in getting it over with first thing. Repotting an already stressed tree to a better condition is often better than not repotting it. Was this sold to you under the guise that it could be kept indoors? Most of the time this is exactly what they tell you. And, the person buying their first bonsai is none the wiser, usually, and keeps it indoors, just as they were told to do. Then they kill the tree and come away thinking that the hobby is too difficult for them to be bothered and give up, maybe restarting in a year or so, or maybe not at all. Don't be "that guy". You have your tree, nothing can be done about that, but now what you CAN do is get it outside.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Totally agree - get it outdoors. Juniper is not an indoor bonsai material. It would help to know where you live (region/climate).

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”