shaneismyname
Newly Registered

Zelkovia is dieing off after 2 years! NO!!

My zelkovia sch-omething is I think dead. I have done a scratch test and found green on the trunk right under trunk, but when I snip branches at top all white? what does that mean? I trimmed off all the foleage foolishly not knowing that was a bad idea. It had no green for 2 weeks the started to grow a branch and a few leaves. They too now have died. It is kept under a t5 grow light 4 foot on a shelf and watered and tended to regularly. Is there anything I can do? The nursery where I purchased it told me to do the scratch test but everytime I ask a bonsai question I get a new answer. I would just hate to loose 2 years! If anyone can help it would be so great. :?:

froggy

Well, since it has no leaves, watering regularly (on a schedule I presume) is a bad idea - you should only water when needed. If the roots are kept too wet, they will rot.
If there is still green on under the bark, not everything is lost yet.
if your weather permits, I'd suggest placing the tree outside, in shade, and protected from heavy winds.
Oh, and stop fiddling - it has to get better by itself, other than providing the perfect environment, there's nothing you can do.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Shane,

I take it that you have been keeping it inside. Zelkova is a temperate tree and as such has evolved to expect/require a dormancy each winter. This may be at the root of your problem. Not really sure what to suggest now except to move it outdoors as froggy suggests. If it pulls through you should plan on changing how you handle it next winter.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”