bee71
Newly Registered

new to indoor bonsais

I have been given a bonsai as a birthday present. The name on the label is Ulmus parvifolia 2yrs.It also says,
Cool indoors, light. water abundantly in summer moderately in winter. Trim new shoots as required.
It looks very dry. Its in a china container with what I think is almost all of the plant showing. Please advise on a. when to water and b.does it need a bigger container.
many thanks from a beginner!!! :?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bee,

If it is as dry as you say then give it a good soaking. Verify drainage holes so it does not stand in water. Search the forum for 'Chinese Elm" there are numerous threads concerning this species. Are you able and willing to place the tree outside? Pictures would help us to advise you. More later if you require additional support.

Norm

bee71
Newly Registered

thanks for the quick reply! It has one drainage hole in the bottom.sorry can't send photo, haven't the means. It sits on a small ceramic tray. I have given it a good water, the soil is now moist. shall I put it in a cool area?

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Hello, How cool is cool depends on your location. Upon google search and found this site hopefully will help you if you havne't found other useful info yet. https://www.joebonsai.com/chinese-elm-bonsai-care/

If it's my tree I'd keep it outside if you have the means and slowly introduce it to sun light, 1st indirect, then morning and afternoon direct, then direct sunlight over a few weeks.

bee71
Newly Registered

thanks for the advice. :D

bee71
Newly Registered

Help!!! me again. I think I may have watered it too much :oops: The soil looked very dry so I gave it another water. Now the leaves are falling off. What can I do? I must rescue it as my daughter will be here sunday and she bought it :(

TomM
Greener Thumb

There is no overnight miracle with bonsai care. Explain to your daughter that you are learning and it takes time. A common theme with bonsai is that the toughest thing to learn, and appreciate, is patience.

Your little tree (Chinese elm) needs to adjust to its new home environment. Learn about watering. Search this forum for the chopstick method for determining how and when to water. But basically - don't keep it constantly wet, don't let it over dry either.

Also learn about proper lighting conditions, temp and humidity.

Always remember - this is a tree, not a houseplant - a tree. You're simply its caretaker, borrowing it from nature. Nature is a wondrous and beautiful thing. :D

You might even want to show your daughter this forum and how you came here for help. Share all this with her and let her know how much you are trying, and how you value your gift of bonsai. :wink:

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Great answer, TomM

TomM
Greener Thumb

My hope is that bee71, and all these others who come here for "HELP", will realize that bonsai is a long-term commitment to a healthy 'live' art form.

Miracles rarely happen, but unscrupulous retailers are everywhere. Huge amounts of FAKE BONSAI are being peddled to unsuspecting buyers and the results, sadly, are disappointing and giving bonsai in general a bad name.

Please purchase from well known established bonsai nurseries. Join a bonsai club. Don't treat bonsai as a whim. Respect the bounty of nature. It will reward you with life-long serene beauty and accomplishment.

froggy

Funny, I haven't bought a bonsai yet, for that exact reason. Now that I moved I will be looking around for bonsai clubs etc. I was just too far out in nowhereland before...
But I like growing my own, so if it takes ten years, does it matter? Yeah, yeah, it may take thirty, and your point? :P

TomM
Greener Thumb

The time spent, the length of the journey, is in keeping with the result. I have great respect for those who will create bonsai from scratch. That's a wonderful thing.

My beef is with the mass producers out there - flooding the market with what they call bonsai - when they are nothing but brand new cuttings slipped into cutesy pots and shipped out before they even take root. Of course they get funny looking spots, they wilt and turn yellow or brown, they die. They got their $$$ - so who cares?

The new bonsai owner is let down and left with the idea that bonsai is not for them.

bee71
Newly Registered

update on my bonsai :) I have put it on a bookcase in the hall which is cool and only has natural light. Looked at it this morning and no more leaves have fallen and it looks fine. Perhaps I'll talk to it as Prince Charles does to his plants! Many thanks for all your good advice.
bee

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”