ToyoXrsPl
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai Suitable for Indoors?

Hello, I'm new to the Bonsai world but my gf was buggin me for the longest time to get her a bonsai tree. Now I live in Ontario, Canada and we have some pretty bad conditions here in the winter, however our apartament is really warm all the time, specially in the winter time. I live in apartament with a balcony, and we want the tree to b indoor, we can take it out on balcony from time to time if that's what it needs.
We are wonderin which kind of tree to get cuz we noticed that there's a lot of different kinds. We would like a really full one if that's possible. Any recommendations ?
I'm in the middle of readin how to take care of them.

Edit: We really love how Juniper Bonsais look :)

ynot
Greener Thumb

Welcome,
ToyoXrsPl wrote:Edit: We really love how Juniper Bonsais look :)
Sorry, A juniper is a tree that needs to be outside during winter, This is required for it's survival. If you want your tree to live, A juniper is out of the question.

Do keep in mind also that you can get a larger version out in the nursery of the exact same juniper [that is in the bonsai pot] from lowes or home depot for 5 or 10$ [instead of 15$ or 30$] And you get to do the styling.

Read the articles about 'nursery stock' for details.
ToyoXrsPl wrote:I live in apartament with a balcony, and we want the tree to b indoor, we can take it out on balcony from time to time if that's what it needs.
We are wonderin which kind of tree to get cuz we noticed that there's a lot of different kinds. We would like a really full one if that's possible. Any recommendations ?
I'm in the middle of readin how to take care of them.
ALL trees prefer to be outside in the summer, The ones from tropical climates must overwinter indoors [with supplemental lighing for health reasons]
Here are a pair of sites with some excellent articles wrt bonsai:
https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics.html https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

I suggest you do check out the titles : Basics, Beginners, Indoor Bonsai, Watering, Soil Also checkout 'Nursery Shopping' for an entirely new approach to bonsai than you may have considered. There is far more to this than people realise.

These two pages are heavily re: in the sticky I wrote wrt soil at the top of the forum page. do check that out as well.
good luck,
Keep asking questions
ynot

ToyoXrsPl
Newly Registered

When u say they have to b outside in the winter, would puttin it on the balcony for the winter work ?

Sharp

The reason junipers need to be outdoors for winter is they must have a dormant period. Otherwise their health will decrease steadily.

If you have aplace on the balcony, that can get full sun then id suffice it would work. But you have to let it stay there. Bringing it in and outside will only screw with its natural cycle.

If that seems like alot of work, I suggest going with a ficus. They are a great beginner tree, are hardy and work well indoors.

With anything indoors be careful of central heating/cooling as they will dry out your plant quickly.

ToyoXrsPl
Newly Registered

Yeah my side of the balcony gets sun for most of the day, so that wouldn't b a problem. I can leave the tree in the winter on the balcony and bring it back in the spring. She has her mind settled for Juniper now :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Toyo,
I can leave the tree in the winter on the balcony and bring it back in the spring.
Junipers belong outside, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. If you really want a Juniper and intend to keep it on your balcony I won't try to talk you out of it. You should not however, entertain any thoughts that this is an indoor tree. If you want an indoor tree look to tropicals or subtropicals.

Norm

ynot
Greener Thumb

ToyoXrsPl wrote: I can leave the tree in the winter on the balcony and bring it back in the spring.
A quote from the species guide for junipers at this site: https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html
[Emphasis is mine]
Position Full sun though Junipers with predominately scale-like foliage benefit from a little shade from the midday sun. During winter protect during frosts below -10°C but coniferous trees should not be over wintered in dark outbuildings unless temperatures are consistently below -10°C, at this point there is no requirement for light. Never try to grow Junipers indoors, though they may seem to tolerate indoor cultivation at first, poor humidity, lack of light and dormancy will eventually kill them. Dead Junipers can continue to display normal foliage colour for weeks or even months after they have effectively died.
There is some good advice in this thread, Do read the links posted as there is alot of valuable info in them also.
Good luck!
ynot

ToyoXrsPl
Newly Registered

Ahhhh :(
Too bad, they look so nice.
Well lemme look into the other ones u guys recommended. I guess juniper will b prowdly dispalyd at my backyard when I move to the house soon :)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”