Kicks

Schefflara help please

[img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n563/kickgirl001/2011-04-17_18-19-22_545.jpg[/img]

So based on the lightened colors & curling in the leaves have I now sunburned my little tree? I placed it outside because it's become droopy lately but perhaps I've given it too much light, making my problems worse :cry:

I'm going to post the picture of what it looked like just 24 hrs ago below.

[img]https://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n563/kickgirl001/2011-04-16_16-18-54_218.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

What are the night time temps where you are currently? This looks more like "frost" or chilling damage to me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking you're right about the sunburn. Nevada sun can be fierce. Any time you move a plant from indoors to out, you need to harden it off, that is get it used to all the extra light gradually, starting with just a few hours in an indirect sun location.

I'd bring it back in and see if it can recover indoors and then try again gradually.

Kicks

Thanks for the replies! The nights here are currently upper 50's low 60's so I don't think it was the cold, I think 4 hours of south facing las Vegas sun was a bit much. I have brought it back in so I can find a better location for it. I hope to cure him of his droopy's :(

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Sun it was then. Remember, Schefflera really don't need all that much sun. I've a variegated in a garden window that faces east, south, and west. I have to actually pull it back from the window to insure it doesn't "crisp". I've another in an atrium with eastern and western exposure, both shaded, that is just fine. I'd look for a spot a few feet from a window that doesn't face north.

Kicks

Got it! it's now a few feet from a southern window :D

After seining a few other posts in here I found that I need som straws because I have like 3 little ariel root starts which is so exciting for me!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”