antiquatedgirl_16
Newly Registered

New to Bonsai: Little Green Bugs

Hi, I am new to bonsai but would really like my little Jade plant to do well. I got the plant three days ago and just noticed that there were little yellow things that looked almost like grains on some of the leaves and then I saw little green bugs crawling around the edge of the pot. What type of bugs are these? They do not look like mealybugs (from the pictures I have seen on Google) and I did search for pictures of spider mites and the bugs do resemble those but it says that spider mites are only visible under magnification. If you have any idea of what these are and how to get rid of the I would greatly appreciate it!

Marsman
Green Thumb

Hello and welcome.

Do they look like these?

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Various%20Hosting%20Pics/aphid3_lg.jpg[/img]

If so, you have aphids.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil]Neem oil[/url] would get rid of them

antiquatedgirl_16
Newly Registered

Yes, they do look like that! Thank you!

Marsman
Green Thumb

Great! Glad to help.

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Had the same trouble with my Chinese Elm.
Norm told me to use soapy water on them. :)

JTred
Green Thumb

Yep soap will work, make sure it is SOAP, and not DETERGENT. Many hand and dish soaps are actually detergents. Try Ivory.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

You can also try Neem oil. Or, best yet I've found, secure the soil by wrapping tightly in cheesecloth or gauze. Take the plant outside, hold it upside down, and spray the bejeezus out of the leaves and trunk with a "houseplant safe" insecticide. For me, soap and Neem oil have never worked 100%. But then I also have a largish collection packed fairly closely together.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”