Lazaroo

privet bugs!

Hi all,

I have a privet and after watering I noticed little white bugs floating in the run off water.

They are all over the moss and the soil too. They are very small like a mini grain of rice in shape 1mm long with 2 little antennae at the head and are moving about, though too small to see the legs.

I have only just noticed them this morning so I'm hoping there is something I can do to get rid of them or at least identify them. Any ideas?

Also I have an elm in the same room so I have separated them for now....not sure if its contagious! Ugh, bugs!

Lazaroo

ARRRGGHHH! I have just checked my Elm and its covered aswell!! Help!

They have all disappeared now I have opened up the curtains and its bright. :shock:

JustinBoi
Green Thumb

Try a spray like water and soap. Not dishwasher soap but regular hand soap. 1:5. Use that on there and spray it everywhere. Then wait a few days and see if it gets better.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Lazaroo,

First try to determine what you are dealing with. They may be the larvae of Fungus Gnats. Have you noted any small flies in the area? If you search Google images you will find numerous pictures of this pest.

Norm

Lazaroo

Thanks guys,

I have been searching all day and it looks like I have springtails. lots of places are saying they are actually a good thing for the soil etc but I am not sure about bonsai in particular.

Could they be harmful to the roots? No flies or grubs like fly larvae anywhere either.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”