ladygaga

serious emergency jade tree leaves wrinkled!

My jade bonsai that I've had for about 3 months now which was perfectly healthy and had new growth before all of the sudden has wrinkled leaves that are very soft and mushy to the touch ALL over and I'm really upset and scared. The only major change I made was moving it to an area where it gets no direct sunlight which I didn't think was that big of a deal but apparently it is. I'm really nervous and I don't know what to do please help! I just watered it because I haven't in about 3 weeks but its winter here and I though I wasn't suppose to water it a lot during the winter pleaseeee help :*( [img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110308_223701.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110308_223654.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110308_223712.jpg[/img]

ladygaga

Also I forgot to mention I have been using an old windex bottle that I cleaned out for humidity and if maybe the chemicals from the windex are what did it I'm in trouble because I've also been misting my dwarf citrus trees with it too do you think maybe that could have done it I'm really upset and angry at myself for letting this happen and if the windex chemicals could kill my plants I'm actually going to cry :*(

luigonz

I would say the wrinkled leaves are due to the extended period of time with no water.

I have a dwarf jade as well and sometimes the leaves get a little wrinkled, but I just water the plant and they plump back up.

These succulents survive long drought periods by storing water within themselves. A period of drought would cause these stores to be depleted. Your Jade looks ok from the pictures I can see.

as for the windex residue, I've used windex to kill ants before, but am not sure how poisonous to plants it is.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ladygaga,

luigonz is absolutely correct, you simply waited a little too long between waterings. Soak it well and it should be fine and don't wait so long next time. Baby Jades, actually Portulacaria, can be watered at a greater frequency than actual Jades. I think this may simply be due to their smaller mass. In summer, when they are outside, I increase the frequency of watering and fertilization and in good sun they really take off.

If possible , return it to the area with better lighting, I find that extended periods of dim lighting can cause some leaves to drop. This plant likes a lot of light. BTW, I never mist succulents, they don't really need it although you certainly could once in a while to clean the leaves of dust.

Norm

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I recomend leaving it in a bowl of water over night to let it suck up as much water as it needs. That's how I water mine and I can't stop it from growing. I water mine atleast every two weeks, and once it gets hot down here I'm sure it'll be alot faster. It's a succulent, not a cactus, it can handle a little more water. Cacti tend to be the drier plants.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”