ladygaga

dwarf jade bonsai help!!

Can someone assess the health of my dwarf jade bonsai? It is my first bonsai and I want to know if it looks healthy and if the growth is normal. And based on its size I was told to water it once a month with 1 cup of water but is that enough? I REALLY want my bonsai to flower so tips about that would help too. Thanks :*)[img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110215_005019.jpg[/img][img]https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/momenttt/IMG_20110215_005033.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ladygaga,

Your plant looks fine, there is no urgency. Watering this species is pretty easy, it's all about frequency not quantity. So first thing is to disregard the one cup thing. When you water it saturate the soil, the key is then waiting a sufficient amount of time before you water again. For full sized Jades (actually Crassula) you can wait for a long time indeed, but for these smaller types you can water more frequently.

Once a month might be OK in a cooler, low light environment when they are resting. In summer when they are outside and growing more actively once a week might be more appropriate. The key thing is not to water until the soil is actually dry, which is unlike many other houseplants. If the leaves begin to wrinkle you have waited too long. If they are plump and healthy you are meeting its needs.

I can't tell from the pictures but soil is always an issue for bonsai, more so for commercially prepared bonsai and even more for succulents which prefer an exceptionally well drained medium. The good news is that these can be re-potted easily and timing is not nearly as important as with other species.

As for the flowers, well good luck. I have been growing Portulacaria for years and have never had them flower. Perhaps in a more tropical environment they might but not for me, not yet.

What are you doing for lighting?

Norm

manofthetrees

my fathers floweres but its 40 years old and not in a bonsai pot

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

manofthetrees wrote:my fathers floweres but its 40 years old and not in a bonsai pot
I don't think that I have that long. :wink:

Norm

ladygaga

Thank you for the information :*) and I won't hold my breath for the flowers then :o/but as far as lighting it gets direct sunlight about 8 hours a day and then I use my desk lamp with an energy saving bulb with my other plants for the other half of the night :*) is that ok or is the lamp time I give my plants not enought for them??

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

ladygaga,
it gets direct sunlight about 8 hours a day and then I use my desk lamp with an energy saving bulb with my other plants for the other half of the night :*) is that ok or is the lamp time I give my plants not enought for them??
For my indoor things I usually keep the timer at 16 on and 8 off, so what you have been doing seems OK to me. Always remember though that most plants can use as much light as you can throw at them while they are indoors.

I assume that when you say 'energy saving bulb' you mean a compact fluorescent. Old fashioned incandescent bulbs are not really a good choice for plants. They produce too much heat for the amount of energy they return.

Norm

ladygaga

Ok so the more light the better got it :*) and they are the spiral looking ones that you can purchase just about anywhere because I did hear that the old fashioned bulbs gave off too much heat but maybe I should just stop being a boob and if I expect my plants to flourish I should put the extra $100 at most to just buy a nice indoor lighting system, which I'm sure they would appreciate :*)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”