midn1352

Topsoil for Diatomaceous Earth?

Hello, All:

I'm currently about to repot my little Chinese Elm. I've been doing some research about soil options and have determined that I'm going to go to my local Napa store and get a bag of Diatomaceous Earth granules to replace the MiracleGro I'm currently using. What I couldn't find a lot of information about was whether or not to use topsoil, moss, mulch, etc. in addition to the DE.

Does anyone have any advice or a reference for me to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a thread where Gnome referenced several articles about bonsai soil:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=175112&highlight=bonsai+soil#175112

manofthetrees

howdy,

I have heard people using diatomaceous earth by itself and/ or mixing it with other stuff( gravel, ground clay, ground bark ex...) one major thing is to look for "heat treated" diatomaceous earth, it is a much more stable potting material the non heat treated stuff breaks down quickly. as for the top dressing I would stay away from topsoil it will just filter into the the d. earth. the gravel and moss will be fine. I have small a plant in its own pot burried in one of my trees pots as an accent, it has its own potting soil to sustain it

midn1352

thank you both very much. I ended up passing on the DE because the auto parts store was closed. I hit up a place called Driftwood Gardens and got some pine bark/volcanic rock/Turface mix... just repotted and am going to start on some moss growing!! I appreciate the help =]

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”