deckermw
Newly Registered

Misting indoor bonsai foliage

I mist using Los Angeles, CA city water that is left standing for 3-4 days and add a drop or two of vinegar to a half gallon of water. My problem is that it still leaves some white residue on the leaves. Any suggestion???

Thanks,

manofthetrees

I use distilled water for misting. the is no minerals or other tap water suff in it. the white stuff is probable the vinegar

nicklangevin
Newly Registered

just don't mist. it doesnt really do anything.

manofthetrees

misting is used to increase air humidity . it is important for tropical plants especially.trees take water in throuigh their leaves as well as roots so misting does hidrate the plant while letting the roots dry out between waterings

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have found that placing a small drip tray that the bonsai sits in in a larger drip tray that is filled with water is a great way to keep the air around the bonsai humid. It works with a cacao tree I have in the house, which is probably one of the hardest plants to keep happy indoors.

deckermw
Newly Registered

Thanks for all the replies. I think the "white" on the leaves is the chlorine in the water. Living in LA it is warm (hot) at times with very low humidity, so I think the misting a couple times a day is very beneficial. Any suggestions on how to minimize the chlorine?

applestar
Mod

I use filtered water from the fridge for misting and watering downstairs plants and have a countertop filter connected with an adapter to the upstairs bathroom faucet.

nicklangevin
Newly Registered

manofthetrees wrote:misting is used to increase air humidity . it is important for tropical plants especially.trees take water in throuigh their leaves as well as roots so misting does hidrate the plant while letting the roots dry out between waterings
[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics%20Bonsai%20Myths%20Misting.htm[/url]

I understand WHY people mist, but you should use a humidity tray if you are going to do anything. I have many tropicals that I have to keep indoors during the winter months and never mist...they don't mind at all. promise....and they have very clean leaves :wink:

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”