Fairway
Newly Registered

Trees from seeds help

Hello

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Bonsai. I have growing from seeds Korean Hornbeams (carpinus coreana) and Japanese White Pine. I am in Canada and winter is not friendly to these trees.

My question is, as the hornbeams have just come up and have a couple sets of leaves and considering the time of year it is, should I be trying to put them in some state of dormancy in the house or should I just let them grow as they are?

The Pine is outside right now and has been for the last couple of months as it has been cool but not freezing. I will bring it in at any chance of freezing but when I do should I site it in a cool dark place and for how long?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you for any help on this.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Fairway,

It sounds like you got off to a late start this year. Tree seeds are best started at the beginning of the season so that they can have the time to mature before winter sets in.
The Pine is outside right now and has been for the last couple of months as it has been cool but not freezing. I will bring it in at any chance of freezing but when I do should I site it in a cool dark place and for how long?
How old is this seedling? I would definitely not bring it in the house but rather look for an unheated space that has at least some light. Perhaps a garage with a window or unheated greenhouse??? Evergreens do still photosynthesize at low temperatures but as temps get lower the need for light is diminished. A dark space will not harm them if temps are low enough.

Brent Walston writes:
Dormant evergreens do not need light as long as the temperature does not rise above 40F for very long. Evergreens stored in the dark at temperatures around or below freezing (32F) will survive the winter nicely.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overwint.htm
the hornbeams have just come up and have a couple sets of leaves and considering the time of year it is, should I be trying to put them in some state of dormancy in the house or should I just let them grow as they are?
The Hornbeams sounds as if they are too young to go through dormancy. You will probably need to grow them on throughout the winter and all next summer before allowing them to go dormant as they should next fall. Supplemental lighting will almost surely be required in order to grow these out with any real hope of success.

You can try but if you are serious about growing from seed you will probably want to start again next spring. Deciduous trees are 'programmed' for dormancy so you may end up losing them anyway. BTW, seeds are not really the best way to get started with bonsai. Consider other sources of material while your seedlings grow out.

Norm

Fairway
Newly Registered

Thanks Norm

The Pine is maybe 4 month's old. It can get to -40F/C for weeks so I hesitate to leave it anywhere outside. Is a fridge really a good option??

The seeds were a gift so I'm obligated to try them. I thought I would have to try and grow them out over winter, thanks for confirming that. Should I fertilize?

Thanks again,

Chris

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Fairway,
It can get to -40F/C for weeks so I hesitate to leave it anywhere outside.
I understand, that's why I suggested some sort of enclosed/semi-sheltered situation. Can you think of anything like that, perhaps a friend or family member?

Code: Select all

Is a fridge really a good option??
I never tried this because I have no need to. This is for folks who live in warm climates and want to grow temperate trees. Or perhaps appartment dwellers who have no access to a secure spot outside.

Norm

Fairway
Newly Registered

Thanks Norm

Will a Japanese White Pine survive in an unheated shed at 30-40 below zero for any length of time? Also the freeze, thaw we have here can be devastating for trees. Would it be OK to have consistent temperature range of just above zero a couple of degrees?

Chris

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,

I have only had success with one species of Pine so far and P. parviflora is not it.:roll: In the book "Pines", which is part of the Bonsai Today Masters Series, I found this bit of information:
In ground trees can survive temperatures down to -24F (-31C).
So I would say that no, a potted White Pine would not survive the temperatures you cite. Don't overlook the fact that not all unheated structures are equal. I overwinter some things in an attached garage that, while unheated, does get some warmth from the heated portion of the building. There are always other options such as heating mats or small space heaters, even a light bulb will warm a small space. I realize that you may not want to go to that amount of trouble/expense for a seedling but I thought that I would mention it.

I take it that this plant is pretty small at this point, correct? If so then perhaps, lacking any other options, you can utilize the refrigerator method for this year. This will give a full year to explore other avenues that will provide your Pine with it's required dormancy period. The book I mentioned above does stress the importance of air cirulation so that is something to consider as well. Not sure how you will accomplish that in a fridge.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”