RedKestrel

:shock: I think I killed it. (and I have a camera!)

[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_PngHbpepnV0/TQe-3WwNmfI/AAAAAAAAARI/moK5yFFV-vw/dead%20pome.jpg[/img]
I just know I've killed it! But I'm not about to give up on it... Is this how it's supposed to look as it goes dormant? It looks quite dead to me, but I'm used to trees changing colors as they go dormant, so I don't know for sure.

Since I thought it might not be cold enough in the basement, I moved it into a much colder area, and last I checked (near 10:00) it was at 31 degrees... I can only imagine how cold it might have gotten over night, I've never checked the temp in there early morning. The leaves are all wilted but not crispy, none have fallen off and only one has a brown tip on it (has had the brown since before it's winter, but it got a tiny bit bigger) they don't seem to have changed colors aside from that. I'm not sure if pomegranates do that, but I thought it better to be safe than sorry. I've moved it back to the basement window for the night which is currently 50 degrees, and likely a good bit warmer than 31 even at night.

Should I move it between window and cold room daily so it doesn't get too cold at night? (that is, of course, if it's not dead yet...)

applestar
Mod

Not and expert by any means, but I think it's just the leaves got hit with sub-freezing temp. Maybe the plant didn't have time chance to gradually change color. Mine outside turned yellow - I think - and all fell off. (ALTHOUGH... your leaves look different from mine -- mine had smaller, more oval shaped leaves.... :?)

I had them in my unheated garage until a few days ago, two days AFTER the outside temp went down to 13ºF and the thermometer set on the garage floor next to them read 26ºF. :shock: A I had to trim some of them as the wispy, almost vine-like winding branches were 12~18" long. I thought those skinny sticks were dead but cut surface showed green central core. I did leave them long so they can be properly pruned later.

Some of them are starting to show tiny red buds on lower trunk closer to the soil level.

It was 13ºF out last night and 21ºF outside right now so there's no way they can stay in the garage any more, even though I intended to leave them out there until after New Years. I hope they had enough cold/rest period.

Your little plant looks younger than mine -- more like the one I kept inside all winter in upstairs window side grouping (most likely around upper 60's). The leaves eventually became somewhat yellowed and spotty. I would think 50's would be safer.

RedKestrel

Ok, I'll keep it in the basement, thanks! It's in the same room as the heater, though on the opposite side and in front of a window (tiny window that barely peeks above ground). I don't think it will get below freezing with that heater there.

I appologize for the picture, the camera used has a broken inner-screen and no eye hole so it's basically just point, shoot, and hope it comes out ok. Anyways, the leaves are somewhat crumpled in the picture, they're normally more oval shaped.

*edit* And forget what I said about un-crispy leaves, they are indeed crispy, except for one.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”