manofthetrees

grow lights for bonsai

have just purchased a large ficus bonsai, it is very well developed and 20 inches tall .the problem I have is I have no place to overwinter it ,the sunny windows in my house are too drafty. is there a any special lighting I should use or will a regular cfl or incandesant work. thanks a bunch

JTred
Green Thumb

Go with CFL and put it as close as possible, just make sure it isn't giving off too much heat. The more light you can give it, the better it will grow.

TomM
Greener Thumb

If you want to spend the bucks you could consider a hydroponics light unit. They come in different sizes,and have a hood. Mine measures 23 in. by 13 in. with 4 florescent tubes - 96 watt.

manofthetrees

cool, I have a hydroponics store near here I'll have to check out .thanks again

joedes3

Check the web, there are people the recommend a standard florescent light.

djlen
Green Thumb

There is no need to get fancy with lighting for Ficus plants. They are fine with standard 4' fluorescent lighting. If you can add a compact fluorescent bulb or two, this will push it to grow just a bit faster and fuller.
We have a huge one in the living room that grows(slowly) with only filtered westerly light all Winter. My little Ficus bonsai grows nicely under a standard fluorescent with a CFL assist.
None of them grow very much during winter though so don't look for an explosion of growth when it's inside in Winter.

JTred
Green Thumb

djlen wrote: None of them grow very much during winter though so don't look for an explosion of growth when it's inside in Winter.
You hit the nail on the head. They don't really have a dormancy, but they do rest during the colder months. I usually see a minor growth spurt once a month or every other month while my ficus is indoors. Otherwise it kind of just hangs out and taunts me.

djlen
Green Thumb

Yes, I have to be content with 2 or 3 new leaves during the Winter.
Very exciting!!! Like watching paint dry. :?

manofthetrees

thanks all . the tree seems to be in a growing faze now. I'm going to make a bracket and use light fixtures from a fishtank hood . my small ficus has sat in a south facing window for three years now and is doing fine jst never dealt w/ a tree of this size as of yet.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”