DjD

Can my TV Harm My Chinese Elm?

I need to know if a plasma television can do harm to my Chinese Elm. I have sat the tree on the TV stand, in front of the TV, and noticed that many of the leaves are turning brown at the tips. Is it common for a Chinese Elm to do this? Or, is the TV emitting something that may be causing harm to my tree? Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
~David~

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

David,

I am not aware of any issues such as you describe. I am more concerned about low levels of light in general and perhaps heat and/or dry air next to such equipment. Do you have a more suitable location for your tree. Often supplemental lighting is required indoors to have a healthy tree. Any of the forms of fluorescents will be an improvement over a dim living room or den.

Norm

DjD

Norm,
Thank you for your help. I thought maybe the heat, from the TV, was the critical factor in this issue. Where the tree sits gets indirect sun light almost 4 hours each day. And then, direct sunlight for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours after that. The tree compliments the surroundings so well. However, the health and well being of this beautiful Chinese Elm comes first. I will move it to another location. Again, thank you for the help.

~David~

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

David,

You're welcome. Don't overlook the fact that you can always display your tree at that location for a short time. For instance, you can have it in a less than ideal location temporarily if you are having guests over. But, as you noted, the horticultural aspects have to come first or you will have no tree to display. Good luck.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”