DjD

Newbie Question

Greetings,
I am very new to the art of bonsai. As usual, I jumped in with both feet.
I have a couple questions for the 'bonsai masters' here. I have a Brush Cherry, a Chinese Elm, a Juniper and a red Japanese Maple. I really need to know which of these are indoor trees and which are outdoor trees. I was thinking that all bonsai are indoor trees. After reading the posts and information on the website, I have now realized that I have a lot to learn. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

TomM
Greener Thumb

DjD, Hi & Welcome

I can't play 'bonsai master' but I want to comment on your question - it's a good one because it goes to the root of so many problems and failures for new bonsai enthusiasts.

The concept of 'indoor' - or - 'outdoor bonsai' is a confusing one. All trees have a NATIVE ENVIRONMENT, the place on the planet where the species is totally happy in nature year round. We humans then move them around and try to grow them where we happen to live - which is often in a much cooler, or drier, or hotter, or wetter environment than the poor tree is 'native' to. The tree then suffers. It can't adjust to the change.

If the tree (species) originated in a tropical area of the world we in the North try to compensate by bringing it 'indoors' to grow it in a warm place - hoping to mimic the place it came from. But we must then provide very good light and humidity. This situation is called INDOOR TREE, whereas if we keep it outdoors it would be too cold and would not survive.

Then the opposite is also true. Those of us who live in warm/hot climates will have a hard time with trees from cold/temperate locales. Trees like juniper, larch, some maples and pines need to have cold conditions for winter dormancy periods. Those are OUTDOOR trees. They will not do well in a warm house.

Sorry I have rambled on - and haven't addressed your specific request. I would not consider your trees to be grown indoors. You live in the mid-South. Brush cherry, Japanese maple, juniper, Chinese elm should be outdoors. The general rule of thumb would be this - if they would live in the ground (where you live) they belong outdoors.

Lastly, I would advise anyone to do some research on their trees native environment - that is a basic requirement for bonsai health. Use GOOGLE or better yet find a good tree reference guide online or through a school of horticulture and also consult with a local bonsai club for hands-on advice from folks like yourself with knowledge and experience. I hope this helps you to be a good caretaker of your trees.

DjD

Tom,

Thank you, very much, for the information you have shared. I guess that I have always wanted the beautiful miniature trees on my coffee table to admire and share with others. In my haste, I didn't think of the common sense aspects that you have made clear to me. Again, thank you, so much, for your help, your knowledge and your reply. I will use this as a general rule of thumb and study further on the climates of the trees that I plan to care for in the future.

Sincerely,
David

TomM
Greener Thumb

David, Don't give up hope. Coffee table bonsai do exist - most are artificial though! :roll:

But with some common sense and due diligence you could find a nice tropical tree with a low light level requirement and low maintenance such as jade. Some jades (such as Portulacaria 'afra') are actually quite good as bonsai and there are also some others in the cactus family as well. I'm sure some forum members will be offering other suggestions for you. And they may not all agree with what I've told you so far. That's OK. There is much contradictory advice in the wonderful world of bonsai. What works for one does not always work for the next guy. So we share experiences - and sometimes we even act like experts :oops: only to discover our errors.

Back to the coffee table issue - in many oriental homes a cherished bonsai is often brought in from the garden to enjoy (contemplate) for a short time, perhaps a day or two. This does no harm to the tree, but does wonders for the viewer (think zen moment). They might be brought in for a special guest to enjoy. And if you have a nice collection of tree on hand you have the opportunity of doing this on a rotating basis - thus giving you a variety to chose from.

My point Dave is - you have already got a nice collection started. They are temperate climate trees. Now expand on that, mix in a few trops and you will soon have year round bonsai at your fingertips, perhaps even some that flower or fruit. Consider bougainvillea, dwarf pomegranate and azalea. Endless possibilities !!

Tom

PS - Dave, You are in a hot bed area of bonsai. Did you know that next June Louisville is hosting BONSAI IN THE BLUEGRASS? It is a 4 day symposium co-hosted by ABS (American Bonsai Society) and BCI (Bonsai Clubs International) at the Fern Valley Hotel & Convention Center. Here is the info https://www.bonsaiinthebluegrass.com/. Hope to see you there. : :D

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”