EleanorV
Newly Registered

Lombardy Poplar Bonsai?

My yard is full of lombardy poplars that we planted for windbreaks and shade. They are doing beautifully, and have recently started sending off saplings. Just for fun, I potted one.

I have recently done internet research, only to find that it is very uncommon to see a lombardy become a bonsai. I couldn't even find a good picture to go by. I wonder why this is; the leaves and the trees themselves do not get very big.

Have any of you heard of a lombardy bonsai? Do you think my lombardy will live? Also, I am afraid of pinching it because I want it to grow upright, as in nature they have only one trunk. How do I pinch it and still make it look natural?

I would enjoy your thoughts. Thank you.

--EleanorV

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

IMO it's too upright and not tweaky and it's just not traditionally done.

djlen
Green Thumb

The poplars are not popular for for many reasons, not the least of which is that they a very, very short lived and not conducive to bonsai culture due to leaf size and node separation.
The saplings you are seeing will grow tiresome over time unless you want a poplar forest in your yard. I know because I planted two hybrid poplars in my front lawn years ago and they threw saplings via runners to the point where they ruined the lawn. I would not be surprised to find them on the "Invasive Plant" list in the future.
I hate to rain on your parade but that's my experience with them.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Sadly I must concur with the replies given so far. Out my window, on the far side of the large koi pond, I have a nice row of poplars, larches, white pines, cedars and a huge weeping willow. The poplars add a nice whimsy with their pale bark and aspen-like wind movement. But for bonsai? Don't think so. Though I have never tried.

HOWEVER - never say never? They do multiply like crazy. Which means that the price is right - and they are available. I do know of other bonsai which came from 'invasives'. If you do get a nice one please let us know. :wink:

EleanorV
Newly Registered

Looks like the world will never know. I took it off of a main root, and it didn't have much root of its own (Risky, but free). I don't think it's going to live, but it's always fun to try.

And yes, saplings always grow tiresome, but isn't that always a hazard growing any tree? I love our lombardies in our yard. They provide shade, privacy and protection. We live right next to the YMCA. It has a gravel parking lot where people like to throw gravel :roll: . Also, there's occasionally a teen drinking party in the parking lot right next to our yard. We needed fast protection. Lombardies have lots of foliage and don't take up much width, which is good for our tiny yard.

It all depends on preferences and need.

djlen
Green Thumb

Eleanor, if you're happy with them, that's all that matters. Good luck with them. I think you will have more saplings to try to grow in pots, down the road. Good luck with them. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here are some beautiful and interesting bonsai pictures:

https://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/bonsai_putz.php

There's a Virginia creeper vine, I think an unusual bonsai subject, and third from the bottom is a white poplar.

I know it's not a lombardy poplar and not nearly as upright and columnar, so probably works better for bonsai than the lombardy, but it was as close as I could find.

Well I did find a place in UK offering what they said was a lombardy poplar starter bonsai tree for sale

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=94&products_id=2367

but then they said it is also known as black poplar. I think that is something different from what we call lombardy

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”