magickchicken
Newly Registered

Black spots on Hawaiian umbrella tree

Hello everyone,

I just bought my mom a Hawaiian umbrella plant for Mother's day, and she said when it came it had some tiny black spots on it. Some of the spots have gotten larger, then the whole leaf turns brown, then the four or five leaves surrounding that leaf turn brown.

It got left by FedEx on the porch in Arizona ( :shock: - WHY would they DO that?!) for almost four hours so maybe it got heat stroke...?

But keeping it in indirect light by a window, and she's been misting it every other day and keeping the soil moist. It came in a turquoise dish where it is on one end like a mountain, and so when she waters it, the water runs off so she said she sprays it.

Could you tell me what the problem is? $100 for a little tree, and my mom is going to feel so terrible if it goes...

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Some pictures of the tree would help. If you do not already know how to post pictures, here is a good place to find out: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557 I cannot tell you what the problem is now, but I suspect it may be fungus related. If you have not tried to spray it with some neem oil, you might want to do so. It may just be a result of shock, as such is common with most plants that are shipped to completely new environments, but then again, I have never had this problem with any of my Scheffleras.

clark
Newly Registered

she might be overwatering it

Scheffleras tend to turn brown/black when overwatered
the leaves curl when underwatered

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”