chanka98
Newly Registered

Sand as a potting medium for Brazilian Raintree?

I just purchased a Brazilian Raintree and found a few references to the fact that they actually grow in sand. I was thinking maybe I could take a mixture of sand and some traditional bonsai "soil" and repot into that medium. Does anyone have any experience using this type of sandy medium? The research I have done seems to indicate that the Raintree's roots are susceptible to rotting when mixed with too much organic material, plus I like the idea of using sand, I think it would look nice! (since I live in FL on the west coast I have access to some NICE beach sand!!). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

chanka98,

I have no experience with this species but I do have a few thoughts to offer. When you say that this species grows in sand I assume that you mean in nature. What may be appropriate in the ground is not always a good choice in a pot.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/earthpot.htm

Even if you decide to go with sand as a medium, beach sand may not be the best choice considering the salt content. I know a few of our members have posed about these before. Have you tried the search feature?

Norm

chanka98
Newly Registered

Thanks, Norm. I did do a search on this type of tree but there seems to be a lack of specific info out there, especially relating to an appropriate potting medium. I did just find an article that mentioned using a slightly more gritty substance (similar in size to fish tank gravel) along with some crushed lava rock. It also stated that sandbox sand or paving sand was too fine so there goes that idea. Thanks for the response and for the link!

Charlie

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Charlie,

Have you seen this?

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422

Lava rock is an excellent material but you will probably have to mail order it to get the proper size. The sand is too fine and will filter in between any coarser components and impede drainage. Best to keep all particle about the same size. I also usually include some aged pine bark as an organic component.

Norm

chanka98
Newly Registered

Norm,

Thanks for another great link! I think I am going to try a mix of gravel and my traditional bonsai potting "soil" and see how that goes.

Charlie

chanka98
Newly Registered

UPDATE for anyone following this......I wound up making a 70/30 mixture of my standard "soil" (a mix of organic & non-organic materials purchased from a local bonsai grower) and some natural rock aquarium gravel. So far so good as the tree is thriving!!! Not only is there new growth, but it has produced 4 or 5 of it's white fuzzy flowers! Very exciting stuff!!! I water thoroughly every 4 days or so, which is pretty good since the tree is outdoors, receving full morning sun, and filtered afternoon and evening sun. Thanks for all the advice!

IndorBonsai

I thought I lost my Brazilian rain tree last winter ( forgot to water it one week and it lost all of its leaves) I planted mine in long fiber sphagnum moss and it is doing great now, almost back to where it was before I forgot to water it.

You might think how hard can it be to remember to water your tree ,, well I say I have over 20 indoor bonsai trees and sometimes I forget one. Specially when I am letting that tree do a grow cycle to build bulk on a few certain branches.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”