Blue_ache52
Newly Registered

New Indoor Bonsai, lots of questions about watering and such

Hello there, I'm new to this whole bonsai thing. I got mine from Tagawa Gardens and the Lady said that I should submerge it in water once or twice a week about half an inch up its trunk, and for every day just keep it in a tray with water in the bottom. She said not to use chlorinated water, but I was wondering if I could use De-chlorinated water like in fish tanks? Also I know I should spray it every day but I keep it on the far wall in my room, where it can get light on all but one side, just natural light. do I need a heat lamp of some sort? And should I keep rocks on the bottom of the tray or not? because they seem to be soaking up the water from the tree....and I have a Venus Fly-Trap next to it in its own little dome, is that ok? Thanks so much! I really need help with this little tree!
P.S. How should I trim/prune it? and what can I use?

JTred
Green Thumb

Hey Blue, welcome to the forum.

Most of us just use tap water, or you could use distilled water as it's relatively cheap. Also, most of us water from above, but really either one will work as long as you completely saturate the potting medium. The humidity tray (the rocks underneath) is a good thing, as long as the water isn't going up into the drainage holes of the pot.

You wont need a heat lamp (in fact when we have supplemental lighting too much heat can be an issue), but depending on the type of tree and which way the window is facing you may want to get some supplemental lighting.

As for pruning an trimming, there's no way to tell without knowing what kind of tree it is, because different trees need to be treated differently. Also without a picture we can't give any advice on style. Could you post a picture?

-Jack

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Blue_ache52,

Welcome to The Helpful gardener. First, there are two threads you should have a look at.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21636
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479
the Lady said that I should submerge it in water once or twice a week about half an inch up its trunk,
Watering, by whatever method, on a schedule is never a good idea. Refer to the second thread above.
and for every day just keep it in a tray with water in the bottom...
And should I keep rocks on the bottom of the tray or not? because they seem to be soaking up the water from the tree.
Humidity trays are good for indoors but they are not a method of watering. The water should never be able to wick back up into the pot. That's one of the reasons for the gravel, to raise the pot above the level of the water. The other reason is that the rocks vastly increase the surface area from which the water can evaporate. The water should evaporate and be renewed frequently, that's the point.
She said not to use chlorinated water, but I was wondering if I could use De-chlorinated water like in fish tanks?
Chlorinated tap water should be allowed to de-gas by allowing it to stand overnight. Fish tank water has been mentioned here before but I have no personal experience using it. Try the search feature.
I keep it on the far wall in my room, where it can get light on all but one side, just natural light. do I need a heat lamp of some sort?
Supplemental lighting is almost always a good idea for indoor bonsai.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

What kind of tree is it? (Link in my sig below will guide you on posting a picture.) Some trees don't do well inside the house.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”