manIK

Artificial Light - AND - Darkness?

For those of you that have plants growing primarily by artificial light, do you, or should you or does it even matter - turn the lights off from time to time or on a schedule, to give the plant/tree a day and night cycle?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

manIK,

I overwinter Ficus, Jades, Portulacaria and a few other houseplant type things and I always provide a night cycle for them. It's easy enough to get an inexpensive timer and set it to about 16 on 8 off. It's probably better for the plants and cuts down 1/3 on the electric bill.

Norm

manIK

Thanks Norm.

Is it possible to stress a tree by giving it too much light? Not in terms of lumen but in hours. So if, say, you just never turn the light off, would/could that have any adverse affect.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

manIK wrote:Thanks Norm.

Is it possible to stress a tree by giving it too much light? Not in terms of lumen but in hours. So if, say, you just never turn the light off, would/could that have any adverse affect.
That's a sure fire way to kill your plants. They most definately need a day/nigh schedule. Never turning off the lights stresses the plant to death. When growers start seeds inside they leave the lights on 16 hours, but anything that's overwintering or that stays inside all year get a 12hr cycle.

djlen
Green Thumb

I am inclined to agree with both of the above. All plants need a rest period or 'night-time' or they will generally burn themselves out.
I also tend to agree with Norm's schedule for over-Wintering as it co-incides with the one I've used for years with indoor plants/trees and with good results.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”