heavenswolf
Newly Registered

Thinking about trying to do bonsai...

I'm interested in learning about and making bonsai, and was just wondering if there was anything a beginner should know before attempting this.
Thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

heavenswolf,

Please refer to [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24518]this thread[/url] and give some thought to the same questions that I have asked ezylala.

heavenswolf
Newly Registered

Well, I live in a desert climate(California)and wish to keep the bonsai indoors. I'm okay with a bonsai that should be kept outdoors, though, although I'd prefer an indoor one. (and I don't know of any species that can be kept in the super daytime heat and freezing nighttime cold)

I know the basics of gardening, as well as a bit more, but I don't consider myself knowing too much about horticulture. I'm also able to keep plants alive in containers. (does a two year old potted plant count?)

Thank you! If you need to know more, I'll tell you.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

heavenswolf,

Considering that my climate is so different than yours I won't comment much on the outdoor aspect other than to say look around you and note which plants are able to deal with the specifics of your area. How about Juniper?

For indoor bonsai you need to look to tropical species such as Ficus, Schefflera or Fukien Tea. Jades or Portulacaria are options as well. Avoid temperate trees such as Junipers or Maples, they won't do well indoors.

Supplemental Lighting will likely be required unless you have a window with a really good southern exposure. Humidity is also going to be an issue but can be remedied, at least partially, by using humidity trays.

Here is one of the sites that we frequently refer indoor growers to.
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html
Also, once you have tentatively chosen a species search this forum for previous threads concerning that species.

Get your hands on some books. One I have that deals with indoor bonsai is 'Bonsai in Your Home' by Paul Lesniewicz. This book has some basic information as well as a section listing numerous suitable species.

I focus more on outdoor material but others here have more experience with a wider range of species. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”