kjhall
Newly Registered

Gardenia Bonsai blossom drop

My new gardenia bonsai's buds turn black and fall off before blooming. What am I doing wrong?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the forum! I took the liberty of moving your post from the introduction section to bonsai, because you had this question. More people will see it here who might be able to answer your question; not everyone looks at the introductions.

I am not a bonsai grower myself. But the bonsai experts will be better able to help you if you give them more information. We don't know what you are doing wrong, if we don't know what you are doing. :) Any information you can give about the conditions the gardenia is in, will help in diagnosing the problem: is it indoors, what kind of light does it get, what kind of soil is it in, how is it watered and fertilized, how old/ big is this plant, has it always had this problem or was there a time when it used to bloom, etc.

The more information you can give, the better help you will get.

Pictures are always helpful too! Check the introductory section Helpful Hints for new members for instructions on posting pix.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kjhall,

Sorry, I have no experience with this species maybe someone else has some ideas. Some plants don't seem to appreciate having their flower buds misted. Have you been misting the plant? If so perhaps you could change that aspect. I assume that otherwise the plant is doing well.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

How often do you water it? Do you see any insects or mold on the tree? Have you moved it or changed the environment it lives in lately?

Please post some pictures of the tree. See the link in my signature block for guidance on how to post them.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

I had a gardenia and it did not survive either. It blossomed for a while and the white flowers lasted a few days and smell really nice and all. From what I know about gardenias as a bonsai, they're very fussy it's not worth the time.

shadrat
Newly Registered

[img]https://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee102/gottafree325es/100_1491.jpg[/img]

help would be nice.... I love gardenias, and rescued this one from a mad neighbor who thought is was dead. long story short, college kids and paying rent... he wasnt happy with the state of his lawn. anyhow, I water this plant only when the soil is dry an inch down. please help me as I would love to keep this alive. I will post a pic of the full "tree" as soon as possible.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”