szk
Newly Registered

Bonsai shedding leaves

How to revive my new Bonsai tree? I recieved a bonsai as a gift about a week ago. it was bought from a nursery. On the second day it started shedding leaves and it has already shed half it's leaves. I have been watering it daily so maybe, it got over watered so I stopped watering it for 2 days till the top soil felt dry. I resumed watering according to the instructions but it is still shedding leaves. Some of the shed leaves are green, a few are yellow and others have brown tips. I haven't noticed any new leaves sprouting yet. What seems to be the problem? Please help! Thanks.

JTred
Green Thumb

It's really hard to tell what's wrong without knowing what type of tree it is. For some trees this is a common reaction to being moved and is nothing to worry about, but for other trees it means that it is the end of the road. Could you post a picture so we can ID it? If it does die maybe you can take it back to the nursery and get it replaced. I don't think there's anything you could have done to kill a tree in a week.

Also,a tree without leaves will not need as much water as a tree that has a lot of leaves. Usually watering on a schedule doesn't work as well as watering based on the dryness of the potting mix. Check out the watering tips in this thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479

Good luck! I hope your tree pulls through, and I hope this trouble hasn't put you off to bonsai.

-Jack

szk
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply. I will post a photo of my Bonsai,I don't know the type of tree it is. The leaves are small, oval shaped and the trunk is whitish, twisted and bulbus. seems like some local species.I'm hopeful the tree will revive.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”