pdoyle2

Pruning, Fertilization, and Repotting of a Ficus Bonsai?

I have a ficus, which kind I'm not sure, I think it's a ficus salicifolia. I have been watering it and new growth has been coming up, I'm assuming it's healthy.

I recently went to a gardening store and was told to prune the roots, so I pulled the tree up and it had very little root structure, so I trimmed about 1/9th of a root. The foliage has been trimmed once or twice as I have a shape in mind, although I find I may have to change the shape and let the tree do it's thing.

Basically, how much pruning is too much? How often should I fertilize it? Should I repot? I'm sure I'll have many more questions, I just can't think of them right now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

TomM
Greener Thumb

pd2 - welcome, glad you came here for some guidance.

My suggestion for you is to just keep your little ficus alive for now. You have "pulled the tree up" and done a little root pruning. That is enough 'shock' for the tree for the time being. Let it rest and recover.

Meanwhile search the forums here. Learn about the art and horticultural aspects of bonsai culture. Pick up another little tree or two to practice on and experiment with, but take your time. As one of our other members says "Beautiful things take time".

I think you are a youngster and have many years ahead of you in which to enjoy this new hobby for years to come. Go slow - enjoy !!!

pdoyle2

yes, I am only 22 and I have a long time. Another question that is bothering me, should I trim it in a month or two to keep it smaller or should I just let it "run wild" for a few months? oh, and one other question, how big are most bonsais? obviously different types have different characteristics but in general, a few feet high? under 2? just curious more than anything, I have looked at a ton of pictures and am now enthralled in the hobby!

Big Vine

I would let it 'run wild,' as you say.
Don't worry about keeping it small for the time being. It will make a much better recovery if allowed to grow undisturbed.

The only thing I might trim is anything which you feel might contribute to reverse taper. Please ask for clarification if you are at all uncertain about this. Posting photos of your tree would help for us to give you more specific recommendations on this.
BV

TomM
Greener Thumb

The question of "how big are bonsai?" can be summed up this way - they have size catagories ranging from a few inches up to a few feet. Bonsai are often reduced, or 'chopped down', from larger trees, or are repeatedly grown out and then cut way back in a series of chops over several years. This is how they attain a look of maturity with thickened trunks and a myriad of finer branches.

pdoyle2

Wow, I had no idea, thanks for all the info!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

pdoyle2,
oh, and one other question, how big are most bonsais? obviously different types have different characteristics but in general, a few feet high? under 2?

[img]https://www.mame-bonsai.com/mame-bon-diary/su2_diary/8_2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.takoafeira.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/imgp0743.jpg[/img]

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

Norm, You are the best - is that 2nd one an "eight-hands" bonsai? Are we in Cambodia? Vietnam? Gotta be 6-8 feet tall.

Nice job showing the 2 extremes.
:o

pd2 - have you considered looking for a bonsai club in your area? I highly recommend it. You would benefit from it and they would love to get a new member with youthful enthusiasm.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Thanks, sometimes a picture, or two, can really make the point. The large bonsai is outside a hotel on Boracay Island in the Philippines. I found the picture on a non bonsai site so other than that I don't know any details.

BTW, you've had a PM for a while.

Norm

TomM
Greener Thumb

??? Got one awhile back from Vic - nothing since.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

You should have one in your inbox, Perhaps the popup notification did not work or perhaps you missed it at the time but there is one there. I edited it yesterday so it should be dated the 15th.

Norm

pdoyle2

ya, there are no bonsai groups in my area. so this will have to do!

derkap10
Cool Member

Hi pdoyle2,

Congrats on finding this site! Like you I don't have a bonsai club in my immediate area so I'm always looking for info online. This place is, by a huge margin, the best there is. Vey experienced and knowledgable folks and always ready to help. After a 15 year absence from the hobby (moved a lot and took a job that required me to be out of town every other week, alas for my little trees!), I'm just now starting to get back into it. Not a day goes by that I don't find something helpful here.
I've only got 2 trees myself right now but one of them is a Ficus. Ginsing, I think. A little more info about your Ficus would be helpful. For example: from where did you get your tree? My Ficus came from a grocery store. I call it my 'rescue tree'. Poor thing was in a too small pot with wrong soil that had fake moss and these rocks that had been sprayed with some kind of glue to keep them in place. And the pot had no drainage holes. First job was to repot into a larger bonsai container with a much more suitable (I.e. better draining) soil. Since it was a larger container I just straightened the roots out a bit and clipped back some of the deaders. All it really needed. Growing well now. If you got yours from a place that actually sells bonsai and has people who know about them you may be okay this first year.
Spend some time looking around this site and you'll get some great information and some excellent ideas on how to proceed. Enjoy!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”